1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What type of Filter to purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by McGunnigle, Aug 16, 2009.

1. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    I need a 67mm clear protective filter....

I am not sure what to look for, whether it be UV protective, multi coated, etc etc.

Does anyone have advice on what filter to buy or do they have any experience with filters that were bad.

Anything will help.... thanks

2. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    If all you're looking for is a protective filter, get a Nikon NC filter.

3. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    Thanks, I was also thinking something around the $20 dollar range...

4. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    The following thread here at NikonCafe recently discussed the merits of different brands of filters:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=238501

Within that thread, user RFCGRAPHICS posted the following link to a very thorough test and review of filters:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

What the review makes clear is that you should probably NOT buy Tiffen filters, the only ones you're likely to find in the price range you've mentioned.

The filter will presumably be on your lens all the time. A bad one could affect every photo you take from now on. Wait, save your pennies, and buy a Hoya (the less-expensive Hoya filters rated very well) or B+W or Nikon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    Great links... thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. While a $20 filter may protect a lens, it's optical quality (poor glass, single or no coatings, etc.) will surely degrade the ability of the lens--distortions, flare, cloudiness, etc. Many/most of us rely on the lens hood for protection and to guard against flare. I can see using a clear protective filter only if working in extreme conditions --blowing sand and salt spray, for example. It make's little sense to buy a quality lens/camera and to cap it off with a cheap filter. The old adage about the weakest link certainly holds true here.

Try the Filter connection--they sell nothing but filters and have the best prices and service I have ever seen! http://www.2filter.com/

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    A good choice is the Nikon L37C UV filter. It is multi-coated. It is difficult to find in stock, though.

8. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    I had decided on this filter Hoya HMC Haze UV(0) but now after looking at the 2filter.com site I believe I may order the filter via them due to the prices. I will end up spending anywhere from 32 to 45 dollars based on the filters I am deliberating between.

9. I have ordered from them a time or two. No probs but you may call and verify stock.

10. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    I ended up buying the hoya... and I love it. There virtually no change to the images i take and the filter fit seamlessly on the lens. I am happy with the filter and the price. if you want to look at this filter there is a link at the bottom of the website on my signature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.