What was that gizmo?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Electromen, Aug 4, 2005.

1. At a Pirate game last night, I observed a pro using a Nikon D2H and a 400mm lense. Attached to the hot shoe was a gizmo with a radio antenna. I assumed he was sending photos to a computer.

Do anyone know anything about this gadget?

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

More than likely it was for firing remote flash units mounted somewhere.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My guess is that he was transmitting his images to his laptop. A $600 add-on that makes life a bit easier for the shooting pro.

4. Well on the D2H there is an add on transmitter that attaches to the bottom of the camera to transmit images, most devices on the hot shoe are pocket wizard used to remotely fire strobes so the photo can get higher shutter speeds and freeze the action they use these all the time in basketball and hockey arenas

5. I agree with Mike, the only info coming from a hotshoe would be for lighting. Info for a transmitter wd have to come from side port.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Duh...I didn't read that it was on the hot shoe...my mistake!!! :shock: Just another one of my premature senior moments!!!

7. thanks

Thanks for the info. I didn't know things like that were available.

8. *LOL* Frank, welcome to my world, I'm having more and more of them each day - attribute it to too many hobbies, toys, clients, peripheral appurati, etc etc. I'll use any excuse I can get my little hands on!!

9. marc

marc Guest

almost definitely a pocket wizard, used for setting off remote lighting or at baseball game remote cameras.

every remote unit weather strobes or cameras, also have remotes attached.

when photog fires camera strobes or remote cameras fire at same time.

pocket wizards can be used on or off camaera. usually strobe fire from camera and remote cameras from off camera.

all remote work on radio frequency that are selected thru tthe remote.

mostly used indoors at bball , tennis etc.

google pocket wizard and go to there website, very interesting.

10. Thanks again, I looked up Pocket Wizards and it was a
    PocketWizard MultiMAX Transceiver