What Wedding Packages Do You Have?

Discussion in 'People' started by mmonreal4, Jun 11, 2007.

1. mmonreal4

mmonreal4

Jul 3, 2006
    Houston
    Hey guys, I have another client that wants me to photograph her wedding, what kinda of pricing can I go by. I was saying $800 with CD and some prints, but I don't know how many prints, and whether or not $800 is too low. Thanks in advance guys....

2. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Mike, I think $800 is very low. Don't sell yourself short. I am looking into the same thing. Look at what others are charging in your area. And base it off of that, but also what you think your time is worth. Keep in mind, not only the time to shoot and the PP, but also your investment in gear and insurance.

Good luck, Larz

3. As far as wedding photography goes there are basically two schools of thought:

1. Charge a low fee up front, say $200 to $800 (depending on how long you’ll be there) take photos and give them a few prints and a proof book. Photographers who take this route make their money from the reprints and enlargements.
    2. Charge a large fee up front but give them the images on CD or DVD so they can get prints themselves. The rate here varies on time spent at the wedding and whether or not you'll be providing them with a digital flush-mount album. Those can easily add a thousand dollars or more to the price of a wedding package.

It also depends on what type of wedding photos you like to take. A traditional wedding photographer (i.e portrait photographer) with go with option 1 since they would make more money on portrait style prints. A photojournalist photographer would chose option 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Apollux

Apollux Guest

Sure it could be re-worded more nicely.. don't you think?

5. The last wedding I shot I would have given anything for a D50. Lighting was horrible.

Tim

6. I would do a web search for your area and see what others are charging, and what kind of packages they are offering. If this is something you want to get into, doing a few weddings for a modest cost is the way to get experience. (That's what all my wedding handbooks say.)

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

fact, i think Ned rather digs the d50 for the wedding thing:cool:....i know his wife sure does:biggrin:

8. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    What difference does the gear he has make? It doesn't make you a better photographer!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Agree Larz

10. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    This is why I got my Fuji. :biggrin:

11. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    I personally go by option 2. But my reasoning to the customer is that I want to be paid for my time and not make the customer concerned about how many copies of something they can get. I have gotten only positive reactions from customers when I have explained it like this. A plus for this is that if they get alot of prints and spread the copies around then your work is seen by that many more people.

Also you don't have to fell guilty or worried about making money on the back end. After all you can get anywhere from couples with as many a 4 sets of parents, divorce on both sides. To couples where all the parents are gone, so you could make much less on prints.

As for $800 for a wedding it depends on what you are including. I usually charge 25-50 an hour for the event and then double the hours for the event for processing time and charge that at 25-50 as well. For the CD, anywhere from 100-300 based on the size of the event.

So $800 for me would cover a 4 hour event with a CD.
    • 4 hours of shooting at $50 = $200
    • 8 hours of processing at $50 = $400
    • CD for $200

But that is a really short wedding or they only want to cover the ceremony or only the reception.

But I'm also relatively new at this so at some point I hopefully would be able to turn down an event this small.:biggrin::cool:

12. JakeB.

JakeB. Guest

You can take a look at the pricing section on our site if you'd like... the JD site.

13. mmonreal4

mmonreal4

Jul 3, 2006
    Houston
    hey giys, thanks so much for the help, I am kind of new to weddings. I will do traditional shooting but I will also do art photography of the wedding. I think for me starting $800 would probably be good. I like this idea:

So $800 for me would cover a 4 hour event with a CD.
    4 hours of shooting at $50 = $200
    8 hours of processing at $50 = $400
    CD for $200

But what does processing time include. With this package I would make prints for them right.

As for my equipment, I have been very happy with the quality of my images. Larz is right equipment doesn't make someone a better photographer. This month I am going to be buying an SB-800 and maybe a 2.8 or 1.8 lens but I don't know which one would be best. The flash is for weddings and the lens would be for my Fine Art. I actually have a couple shows of my work coming up. And my fine art was all with my little D50......

I just hope $800 is good, I don't want to lower the going rate of photographers.

Here is the work I did at my first wedding:
    windowproof.
    wineglassesProof.
    waitingproof.
    togetherproof.
    toastproof.
    thinkingproof.
    memoriesproof.
    loveproof.
    leavingproof.
    husbandwifeproof.
    HoldingroseProof.
    onlyus.

So is $800 still worth it?

Thanks nikonians ya'll have helped me so much..

14. mmonreal4

mmonreal4

Jul 3, 2006
    Houston
    WOW jake, thats a beautiful website. Wish I could make mine like that. Did you design it?

15. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Post processing includes at a minimum:

• Downloading and backing up of work. (it's your time itsn't?)
    • Any color correction needed.
    • Basic touchups (I have an action that applies a basic layer combo)
    • Any effects you want to add for show (the first image below for example)

But no this does not include prints or an album, just the CD. Albums can are expensive, even my basic 20 page 40 sides album costs almost as much as your fee. And it can take a good amount of time to create an album.

As for equipment, you need both, a flash and a faster lens. Pick up and SB-800 and at least either a Tamron 17-50 of 28-75 2.8. Bother the 1st and last pics could have used fill lighting and the last 2 would have been a little better with a shorted depth of field. For example the middle picture would have been better with the light, curtains, and plants a little more out of focus. And in the last picture it is hard to see detail where the bride is blocking the light.

Don't get me wrong, they are good shots and I would not mind if they were my shots :cool:, but this is what would be helped with faster lenses and flash.

16. mmonreal4

mmonreal4

Jul 3, 2006
    Houston
    Hey David, Thanks a lot for the information and info on how to make my work better. I will pay more attention to that. Thanks.

How much does each Tamron at? I know the SB-800 is $400 and I want to try to keep the next lens under $400. Another question! Would it be good to buy that 1.8 50mm lens thats only like $100. Someone told me its good to have. What do you think?

Thanks again...

17. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Both the 17-50 and 28-75 can be found for around 400 new, a little or less depending on where you buy them. But as they are also the "I'll get the Tamron before I get the Nikon" you can often find them here, on FM, etc as well as eBay for less.

As for the 50 1.8 alway a good buy, a real classic to learn what a fast lens can really do for you. One thing to watch with a fast lens is your point of focus. If you haven't played with a 1.8 lens be careful, your 3.5 lens that is probably not at 3.5 for long provides you with a much greater depth of field then you will have the 1.8.

You can find them new or used for anywhere from 80-90 used or 110-120 new. And the real beauty of the lens is you can use it for a while and turn around and resell it again for the 85-95with little trouble.

18. Even for a first wedding, $800 is low, but you have to start somewhere. You'll soon realize you have to charge more.
    In this area $1,200 is low.

$1,800 for 350 full res images, on CD/DVD and ready for print is average.
    Last fall I paid $2400 for my daughter's wedding, full res on CD - no album.
    The same photographer is now charging $4200 and is busy.

19. mmonreal4

mmonreal4

Jul 3, 2006
    Houston
    Ok cool, thanks. I am sorry for so many questions but I can either buy the flash or the lens this week and maybe the next one in July. Which one should I buy first? Would it be good to buy the flash and the 50mm 1.8 lens first and wait for the 2.8 lens in july, or the 2 lenses first? I know they are dumb questions. Sorry! I was also looking at the 105 macro you have for sale, would that be useful right now. I am really big into Marco shooting, if its not a problem would you be able to post up pics. I know I need the flash for sure, but I am debating on what lens to get. I would only get the tamron 2.8 for weddings and the 1.8 would be for me to just have, and the 105 macro would be for my pleasure. Im stuck between the 3 lenses. Hope all this made sense to you. lol

20. mmonreal4

mmonreal4

Jul 3, 2006
    Houston
    Thats true, I know $800 is kinda low, but I did it cause it is my 2nd wedding. I will not keep it like that though, because I don't think its fair to other photographers who charge what photographers should be getting paid for. I don't want people to think that $2000 for a photographer is too expensive. Thanks again. We just got our photographer for my wedding and we are paying $2400 also. But she is an amazing photographer. Well worth it. I really appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. Sorry for all the questions.