What will become of our photo legacy if (and when)...

Recently I became aware of the passing of Carole May, longtime member and friend to the cafe back in 2013. (You can find her tribute in the Memorial section https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/carole-emma-elizabeth-may-carole.295925/)

As I was researching, trying to find out what happened to Carole, I discovered her domains had expired and all of her images were no longer visible. She did have a Facebook profile, as well as a public page which can be viewed here: https://www.facebook.com/CaroleMayImages/?pnref=lhc

This got me to thinking about all the fantastic photographers here. Will your legacy live on after you pass away? I know many of us avoid Facebook, but it seems to be one of the ways that someone's work can remain online for future generations to enjoy. It is free, unlike a domain name, and therefore, hopefully, will never disappear.

Something to think about...

Here's my Facebook photography page: https://www.facebook.com/RodneyNinowPhotography/

Share yours if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You have a really nice FB page, Rodney. With the passing of Carole, Rich, and Frank, my thoughts have been similar to yours. I have an FB account and am quite active, but I usually don't put that many photos out there unless asked. It is, as you said, something to think about.

An inactive account on fb will get closed soon enough.
The only way is to PRINT your best and secure your favorite files on hard drives and boxes.
But it's all futile in the end. Those boxes will end up in a garbage can very fast.
Today, more than ever, people take 1 second to judge a photo and they move on forever. No matter how Grand a masterpiece it can be. Instagram is the best example.

Thanks.
You have a really nice FB page, Rodney. With the passing of Carole, Rich, and Frank, my thoughts have been similar to yours. I have an FB account and am quite active, but I usually don't put that many photos out there unless asked. It is, as you said, something to think about.
Tough call... I usually don't post my better images to FB because of the ownership issue, and how likely it is for people to steal them.

But food for thought, definitely.

Mike
I think there is a lot of confusion about Facebook and images. Here is a good article about it. https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2015/05/13/does-facebook-really-own-your-photos/

An inactive account on fb will get closed soon enough.
The only way is to PRINT your best and secure your favorite files on hard drives and boxes.
But it's all futile in the end. Those boxes will end up in a garbage can very fast.
Today, more than ever, people take 1 second to judge a photo and they move on forever. No matter how Grand a masterpiece it can be. Instagram is the best example.
I wonder if that is true? Or true only for Facebook pages? Profiles? I have a couple friends who died several years ago, our own Carole, of course, included, who's pages and profiles are still on Facebook.

I know that if a profile is reported to Facebook as being owned by a deceased person it can be memorialized, but I am not sure about business pages.

I think when the time comes, my work will be gone and forgotten, as they should. They are nothing but a magnetic charge that reside in a hard drive.
I do not care much about my legacy (or lack thereof). I much rather enjoy every one of your company while I still can. That said, let me take this opportunity to let each and everyone of you know how much I appreciate everyone's posts. Thank you!

I have kids and grandkids, and family is often the subject of photographs. My images are backed up on three separate hard drives, with locations known to wife and daughter.

Periodically I will print 4x6's for them, and usually twice a year make a photo book for my wife, so she can track the grandchildren as they grow. Other than the family images I'm not concerned about my legacy as a photographer.

We don't have kids, but I do have nieces and nephews, and I tend to think that family and friends will remember us. I have dreams about lost friends and my folks all the time, and I believe they live in our dreams and thoughts, and I hope that we will continue in that way as well. I'm not so worried about my photos being remembered. I've made my living selling my images for the past 35 years so some of my images may continue to be seen, but that isn't as important to me as the memories of friends and family.

JPS

Personally I don't really care of what's going to happen of my stuff after I'm dead.... I shoot -unfortunately- less and less, and, although I also have an FB page and I upload my images at Pbase.com and 360Cities.com, none of my family and friends are really interested in photography in general ! It's a pity as I know for sure that my photo equipment will be stored in a drawer and stay there until my wife decides that she need more space and put averything in the dustbin ! What a waist of several thousend precious $$$ !

Also, obviously, after I die I won't be posting anymore in the few forums I frequent, but who will worry about that ? Maybe someone, after a few months, will wonder what happened with me, but I'm pretty sure nobody will enquiry further.... and indeed nobody in my family will think to open the Nikon Cafe icon on my PC and drop a post saying I'm dead !

So what ??

:confused:

Real Name
Mike
My father was an avid, but not great, photographer in the 60's and 70's and kept thousands of slides and a few hundred prints. After he died, my mother was going to dispose of everything since she had seen them so many times and did not want to see them again. She gave us one weekend to go through the well-organized collection and pick what we wanted, but I was the only one interested. I kept about 300 slides and 200 prints and the rest went to the landfill. The items I kept are still in the sealed box after 20 years, but will eventually find their way to a landfill.

It's a pity as I know for sure that my photo equipment will be stored in a drawer and stay there until my wife decides that she need more space and put averything in the dustbin ! What a waist of several thousend precious $$$ !

My concern is that my wife won't know the real value of my equipment and just give them away for free, but at the same time I can't tell her the actual value of it or she'll kill me! :D oh well, we're dead either way :D

My father was an avid, but not great, photographer in the 60's and 70's and kept thousands of slides and a few hundred prints. After he died, my mother was going to dispose of everything since she had seen them so many times and did not want to see them again. She gave us one weekend to go through the well-organized collection and pick what we wanted, but I was the only one interested. I kept about 300 slides and 200 prints and the rest went to the landfill. The items I kept are still in the sealed box after 20 years, but will eventually find their way to a landfill.
That's a shame. If they were digitized you'd be better able to enjoy them.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Also, obviously, after I die I won't be posting anymore in the few forums I frequent, but who will worry about that ? Maybe someone, after a few months, will wonder what happened with me, but I'm pretty sure nobody will enquiry further...
:confused:
I'm going to worry about you, JP, so you'd better not go anywhere for a long time to come...(y)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom