What would you do…D200, D2Xs question?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Anthony747, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I was having major issues with my D200 and long story short Nikon is replacing my D200 with a new one. I was thinking about selling the new D200 and putting the cash towards a new D2Xs or if Nikon announces a D3H. My type of photography is shooting bird, birds in flight and nature, my question to you all is will I notice a $3000 difference between the two cameras with this type of fast shooting?

I seem to get a lot of missed shots and some perfect shots with the D200. I was just hoping I would get a higher auto focus hit rate with the D2Xs. I mostly use the Nikkor 70-200mm VR with the 1.4TC or the Nikkor 300mm F/4 with the same TC.

I think this would be a perfect time to step up the Nikon chain but wanted your opinion. I’m not interested in the D2Hs.

Thanks for any information!
    Anthony

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I had a D200 for the first half of 2006 and it just wasn't getting it done as far as AF speed for the type of shooting I do (humpback whales). I sold it and a Deardorff 8x10 and bought a D2x. It's well worth the extra, IMHO. There have been some very good deals here lately on used D2x, $2800-2900 for ones with less than 10K shots.
    I wouldn't touch a new Nikon release until it has been out at least a year, though even if an announcement is soon, it'll be a while before they get to market and then there will be shortages.

3. Anthony,

I also shoot mostly birds. I recently acquired the 70-200 (about 1 month ago) and the D2XS (about 2 months ago). Before that I used either my D70 or D 200 and primarily the 80-400 vr. Most of my shooting is from a kayak. On a recent trip I did not take the D70, figuring that I would use the D200 in the kayak and the D2XS when my feet were firmly on the ground. However, I was curious about the D2XS and 70-200 combination and barely used the D200. Accordingly, I discovered that I really like the D2XS with the 70-200, even from the kayak. It is well balanced and fast focusing. I don't think that it focuses any faster or more accurately then the D200/70-200 combination but the 70-200 definitely focuses faster then the 80-400 on any other above bodies. Secondly, the D2XS with its high speed crop effectively makes the 70-200 a 105-300 before factoring in the 1.5x CCD difference between film and digital. Thus, combining the D2XS' high speed crop with the CCD magnification your 70-200 becomes a 140-400 and this combination has kept me from using the D200/80-400 combination when in the kayak. Yes, the D2XS then becomes about 7 MP, but the IQ is excellent and a very good trade-off. Therefore, assuming that money is not the determining factor, I recommend getting the D2Xs...I have never looked back.

Regards,

4. Just realized that you live in NJ. I live in Philadelphia....Where is West Keansburg, NJ? How far apart are we? Interested in getting together to go shooting? I work as a paramedic and work mostly over-night shifts. Therefore, I am usually out shooting when my shift ends at 6 AM.

Regards,

5. Thanks for the information all!

Anthony

6. Kayaker, I'm not to far from Sandy Hook, NJ.

Anthony