1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What would you do and why?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Jeff Lee, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Well have fully funded my “next camera” budget ($1800). I am strongly thinking of one of the following three options.

1. D200
    2. Wait until the D200 upgrade is released
    3. Wait until the D3X and see what the used D2X market becomes.
    4. Find a DHS for birding….
    I currently have a D70 with 25K clicks. My only issue is really speed of focus and FPS and I would like a sealed body due to shooting lots of birds images.

My current lenses are: Nikkors 12-24, 24-85D, 80-200 f2.8 2r, 300 AFS f4 with TC1.4/1.7 and a Tamron 90 f2.8 (and a KenkoPro 1.4 for it and the 80-200).

Most used lenses are the 12-24 and the 300 with TC1.4.

I was going to wait until my D70 died, and with CS2 (now 3) and Noise Ninja/ResizePro I can't really say that I’ve out grown the camera. What would you do and why?

2. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think you would be very pleased with a D200 and a 70-300 VR..
    Right there in your budget
    Go the
    B&H site.

I think I saw a D200 in the for sale forum.

I don't plan on buyin no more new stuff. Lose to much money

4. emidyl

emidyl

Jan 28, 2007
    GTA
    I agree. Waiting is a losers game as there is always something coming round the corner. Decise on what you eactly want and get it. I mountain bike, and I have a friend who always is looking at what's coming up and what's going to be better. Long story short, his bike isn't built up. Hasn't been on a trail with me for 2 years. Whose missing out? Surely not me.

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France

Yep exactly. Think about all the shots you'll miss while you wait ... :rolleyes: 

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Waiting is no fun. I waited till PMA then bought a D200 upgraded from D70s. What a difference. A D200 with 300 f4 and a 1.4 converter and a monopod. you will have a lot of fun. Even if they came out with something new next month I could not get back the time I already have had With the D200.

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jeff-

the AF on my D200 is a little better than that on my old D100 and isn't as good as my D1 or D2H. i'll recommend a D2X or D2Hs over the D200.

ricky

8. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Gale:

I bought both my Tamron and 80-200 f2.8 2r at KEH. If I could find a real deal on a D2x in the next year, I would certainly consider that. The crop feature and 8FPS would be very cool. But a Budget is a Budget and so the $1800 is a "hard figure".

While the 70-300 VR is interesting, I really do use the 80-200 that much, and the 300 is used almost always with the TC1.4 or 1.7. But it appears to be a great lens for the price.

Thanks for the input.

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Since I've got a system that works for me, am really trying to get the "right" camera. Since the money is "stock piled", I am going to take my time and get it right (Really the D70 is a great camera and I'm going to keep mine as the second body).

A used D2hs is also very tempting....

10. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Senna, Not waiting really, my D70 is plugging along with what I consider great glass.

11. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Ricky:

Yes, that is one of my considerations. When Nikon does release the new cameras, I would certainly consider the D2x or s for a few dollars more...and it is the AF speed that most bothers me.

12. Well I agree with most, but, your lens lineup seems to fit you needs and the D70 seems to be OK for now.
    So the D200 is selling at B&H for 1339.99 as time goes on and a replacement comes out it will go lower by how much who knows. As for waiting for a replacement and getting that what could it offer that the D200 can't; Wether sealed, got it, More FPS don't need it, More resolution 6 or 8 would have been fine, lower high ISO noise I don't shot birds at night. I don't see anything to tempt me away from the D200.
    Looking at the single digit line I can't see a D2X dropping into your budget.
    So get a D200 now or wait for it to drop a few hundred dollars or sell all your not used much glass and wait another year or two and get a $6K lens for great birding :cool: 
    Rich

13. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Hm, I guess you're missing enough shots to upgrade to the d200 now. How many more keepers are you going to get with the d200? If the opportunity-cost is more than the cost of the d200, then get the d200. If not, wait it out.

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Based on past performance, a D200 replacement is likely over a year away. A D3 is likely to be first, but I don't think it will drop a D2x into your price range. The D200 has very good image quality but the extra MP do take some getting used to. You'll find the same thing with the D2x.

15. Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce Guest

get you a D200 and have fun!! why wait, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow....

16. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone, decided to go with a D200.

17. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I am new to Nikon

and just got my D200 from B&H. I asked around last week, and no one tried to steer me to any other Nikon, in fact, a Canon 5D owner told me that he had used one for a couple of weeks and liked it as well as his 5D. he said if Canon made it, he would sell the 5D and buy it.

18. If your $1800 is expendable (meaning it's set aside and won't hurt you anywhere else) I would go ahead and get the D200 but skip the 70-300mm VR... you already have that range covered with some great lenses. I'd either put the differenc ($400 - $600) towards something outside photography or a better/faster normal zoom... maybe something like an inexpensive Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8... or something fun like a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom. I really don't see the 70-300mm VR offering you much you don't already have covered well.

Also, eCost has the D200 for $1280... so around $1300 shipped... they're pretty fast and reliable from my own experience.

19. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

I know this is late, but............... I must have missed something here. You have no complaints about the D70, you havent out grown it? Why do anything. I'm not sure I buy into the 'buy the newest shiny toy' philosophy. If you need a different camera wonderful, go to it. On the other hand. What if you took the same money and used it for travel OR maybe spend it on some nice seminars that would bump your skills up some?

20. Roosevelt makes a very good point... this was the main reason I prefaced my comment w/ "If your $1800 is expendable"... I too often find myself becoming more interested in the gear than the images... this something I'm trying to get away from, but I'm an engineer so the technology is always going to grab my interest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.