1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What would you do please?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Sep 13, 2008.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Picture of Maria that I have tried to process...

Is it overdone please?

What would you do?

Best wishes

ray

original

[​IMG]

My try

[​IMG]

2. I like the photo, can't choose either, I feel the image needs some pop and the eyes for sure. # 2 I think is a touch over done, then it's a preference thing, are the freckles bothersome? or her character.
    I go through this all the time clear up freckles, moles etc or leave them, I'm sure others will weigh in.
    Also the hair seems to have a green cast, or my monitor does. She's a cute girl! Think I'm going bug eyed going back between photo's, do like the clean up around the mouth, like to see whiter teeth.

My 2 cents from a real duffer of pp.

Lots of potential in the image still left, hope you'll post some other options.

Thanks
    Darrell

3. My take: the colors are definitely nicer in #2... as to the skin, it looks good but I would leave the freckles. They are part of her... skin blemishes, take away, freckles/moles leave. :smile: Also, it seems to need a little brightening.

4. I do agree with R.G. if push comes to shove # 2, but do agree with
    But also those lovely looking blue eyes, a little pop to them would IMO make this one a nice one for the wall.

Darrell

5. Ray,

I like your new version .... but admit, I would leave the freckles in.

Best,

6. jhaygamba

jhaygamba Guest

@Ray : Good job mate!

Anyway, here's my try (if you don't mind)

Glamour
    [​IMG]

/jhay

7. jhaygamba

jhaygamba Guest

Another one, applying my own process

[​IMG]

/jhay

8. I liked what I was hearing here, that is to brighten the photo, enhance the eyes, leave the freckles. I did all that, but I went a little further and gave it a curve to enhance the freckles. Also a little sharpening, green color cast removal, and a little lightening to her left eye and also under the eyes.

original.

I'll delete the photo off of my website when this thread makes it to the second page.

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Some great feedback and images

Really really appreciate the feedback from everyone...freckles it is!!!!

I love the takes from others....Miriam, unless it is by choice, please leave your image up...it is excellent!!!!!

Jhaygamba...that is a different take again and very nice....also like the glamour version

Very grateful for all the ideas and help.......

I put the freckles back!!!

Here goes

Best wishes

Ray

ps hoping Peano spots this! Would love to see him give this a try!

[​IMG]

10. Thanks, Ray! Be glad to leave it up. I like your latest version, a touch of glamour but keeping the freckles. Perfect!

11. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Gotta love a challenge. :biggrin:
    Mytry.

1. I used an action called Boutwell Magic Glasses a couple of times with a change of opacity to the top one to 55%. They can be found here: http://totallyradactions.com/#rockin-actions-for-adobe-photoshop-7a1d9 . (It was a birthday gift that someone gave me) They basically add contrast using a lot of steps involving Gaussian blur.
    2. then I used the eye pop tut. found in the tutiki section. Without the brightening part.
    3. Then do a soften/brighten layer by copying the the top boutwell layer and change it to screen and do a gaussian blur to soften it. and then adjusted the opacity to 25%.
    4. Then a warming filter(85)[found in photo filter adustment]adjust layer opacity to 35%.

I didn't touch the freckles cause she is young and cute with them, if she was older, I might have.

Loved the challenge thanks for posting.

12. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Here's my effort.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I seldom do portraiture so my opinion isn't an experienced one. BTW, very nice composition :) 

-wb adjustment in acr
    -levels adjustment
    -retouch green splotches in face around mouth, chin, nose and cheeks
    -very very light skin smoothing
    -remove hair crossing middle of face
    - slight burn/desat of corners
    - slight sharpening

[​IMG]

14. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks

WOW...amazed at the fantastic takes...really appreciate people taking time.

I am spolit for choice now with lovely processing works....

Very best wishes

Ray

15. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Wow, nice work everyone, I wouldn't attempt to top that :) 

Ray, your second take is very natural, though I really like the eyes in Bill's pp, which is her correct eye color?

Tough to choose now, with all the neat pp images, she is quite a pretty little girl.

16. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Here's my take and what I did, (using PS2)

1. Created Curves Adjustment layer and set black and white points at the red Xs. (No change for gray point.)
    2. Created Levels Adjustment Layer with Input Level values 0, 1.08, 238.
    3. Smart Sharpen 75%, 1.0px.
    4. Created vignette layer.

I didn't try to fix the skin 'cuz I felt the freckles were appropriate for a girl this age.

original.

17. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    my take: I need the practice!
    375130532_iWHN9-XL.

18. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ray,

Greetings. Thanks for posting and requesting editing on this image... I've been working on portraiture color lately and applies some of that here. It's not quite there yet (on my part), er, I just noticed I left a slight magenta cast to her hair near the part. But, I'm still practicing.

Mostly I worked your image with CMYK curves to try and present to my eye good skin color (there were spotty greenish and yellowish areas). Lowered cyan a fair amount, lowered magenta slightly here and there, evened out some yellow. Adjusted K to brighten around eyes.

Following that, back in RGB mode, I used curves to brighten eyes, multiply to add color contrast, and various sharpening (curves, high pass, unsharp) on the eyes.

Probably a dozen or more layers altogether.

[​IMG]

CMYK curves are a bit tricky, but I like the flexibility of the tool.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

19. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Absolutely astounded and spoilt for choice

Just how do you chose one from these....

They are all fantastic...

Can I thank everyone for spending their time on this image....for me the results have been well worth your while...

Each and every one is superb....so thanks so much...

Going to get Ann and Maria to come and have a look!!!!

Best wishes

Ray

20. brinnswf

brinnswf

Feb 7, 2008
    St. Louis
    The only thing other then color and levels I'll do on a portrait is this technique, it's really simple and easy but makes them a lot nicer without actually changing the person. I've seen this posted around here a few times so you might have seen it before, but I think it works really well.

http://www.archertransfers.com/phototips/phototips.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.