What would you do? Someone wants to pay me for pictures...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leahp26, Sep 11, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    One of my friends had her family visit from the UK. She asked me to take some pictures of them (she knows how keen I am to have subjects to practice whatever I've learnt that week!). I took the photos and actually felt that they didn't turn out that great. They could only meet up at midday, it was really sunny, I didn't use any fill flash, I had to be quick because of the age of the kids etc.

I just got this email:

Hello Leah

Emma's brother here, I just wanted to say thanks again for those pictures you took. What with all the ankle biters i didn't quite get to say a proper thank you. I saw the pictures for the first time yesterday and am very impressed.

I spoke to Emma about our favourites and said we would like to to buy 3 or 4 of them from you. However, Emma said that you wouldn't want to take any money...

18 months ago we had pictures taken by a National UK company, Venture. We we returned to Venture for our preview of the pictures and when we left i was over £2000 out of pocket. The pictures were still worth every penny. Now i have seen yours there are many similarities. I would only want to arrange prints if you will accept a fee, remember the exchange rate....!

I hope your not offended by the above but really would feel happier if i could pay for them...?

So I'm thinking that I spend a little extra time on the images with some additional PP and produce some quality prints (mpix or millers) and just have him pay me for the cost of the prints. Maybe get them a canvas or something at cost?

Here are a couple of the images to give you an idea of my mediocrity!

#1 - the whole family including grandparents:

p677692356-4.jpg

#2 Gran and grandaughter (i.e his Mom and daughter)

p683628221-4.jpg

#3 His daughter - I actually really like this image!!

p931649356-4.jpg

#4 This is his family

p867875508-4.jpg

So what should I do???

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Well, if they really insist on paying, just take what they cost you to print or get them printed. Say that too.

3. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    I would definitely try using the Highlight option in PS to tame those blown highlights. That would help, and you wouldn't feel as bad about getting paid! :)

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Will - thanks

Hi Rob - I know - some of them are awful! It was like 94 degrees, super sunny. One of Emma's twins had a virus, the other was in a grumpy mood - I have nothing but respect for the pro photographers who do this full time and get great images!!!

I think I'll try to fix some of them in PS and then find out what size prints they want and just charge them cost.