What would you expect?- return policy

I ordered a camera trigger the beginning of August.
Right now I will leave the supplier out of this- although will fill in all the blanks later.
On the webpage it states: "Orders usually ship in one week"
Device arrived 3 weeks later. Unfortunately I left for my trip 2 days before it arrived.
This is a routine item, not custom or anything.
Box is unopened.
I contacted the vendor 2days after delivery to return.
Basically told too bad, but send it back and they will consider what to do.
Am I being unreasonable to expect a full refund? I did already pay postage each way- so vendor is not out postage.
They made no attempt to contact me to let me know they were running late on delivery.
Thoughts? Am I expecting too much?
I actually bought a different trigger the day before I left from amazon- delivered next day. It worked great.
gary

A lot of vendors have standard return policies. But they are usually stated. I would check their website to see what theirs is. If you were dealing with Amazon directly or some other large vendor, I would say no. But not everyone has as generous policy as Amazon.

I've had pretty good luck with returns for items from 3rd party sellers on Amazon - although it's not unusual to be stuck paying for return shipping. You send a request for a return and Amazon steps in if the vendor is uncooperative.
That said, I can't tell why you decided to jump the shark and buy another trigger - delivery times are all over the map due to the pandemic. If your patience/requirements don't allow for such eventualities, I would recommend sticking to a local vendor who can take care of your needs.

Basically told too bad, but send it back and they will consider what to do.

One way of looking at that: They would have both your money and the product. Tell them that if they provide a decision in writing that you find acceptable, you'll return it.
Another way of looking at that: Once they've accepted the product, the most they can charge is a restocking fee. They box themselves in with that option.
So, it depends on how reliable you think the company is.

My hunch is that you're being reasonable and that they're complying with the letter of their policy. While complying with the letter of their policy is reasonable, often it's a bad business decision.

Real Name
Dan
It's reasonable for them to comply with their policy.

I've been in similar situations. I would have canceled the order prior to ordering the second one.

Their return policy is vague.
"For consideration of a limited refund, all items, including documentation must be returned in the original packaging without any marks, wear or damage."
No I will admit I did not read the policy before ordering- my bad.
However, I do not understand how returning a completely unopened box of a stock item should be an issue.
No one answers the phone. I explained the situation by email and got a somewhat snarky reply.
I will send it back and see what happens.
I try not to deal with large suppliers like amazon, and try to support the little guys.
It is times like this, however, where I often question my decision to go with the little guys.
I'll let you know what the final outcome is.
gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I try not to deal with Amazon and stick with B&H, Murphy's camera, District, Hunt's, etc.

Seems like this company is being consistent with their stated policy of "...a consideration of a limited refund...."

If indeed the refund is only partial, I would just sell it yourself as "un-used" and "like new"....and move on................

I do not understand how returning a completely unopened box of a stock item should be an issue.

I'm sure they've got plenty of experiences over the years of people saying the boxes are unopened even though they have been opened. Thus, the vendor is waiting to see the box and product before making a commitment.

No one answers the phone.

That's the best reason imaginable for deciding never to do business with them again.

I tried calling the site, no answer. There was no area on the site and nothing in their "rules" on how to cancel. So I just let it ride. Possibly mistake #1.
If they had simply done what the site says they "usually" do, I would have no issue with following their other "usual" rules.
I am not one of those people that return everything.
I paid postage both ways, so he is not out anything.
I will wait and see the outcome before I make any other judgements
gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom