What would you recommend as a mid-range zoom for my D800?

Since September 2012I am a happy owner of a D800.
I use the 16-35 f/4 with it and a 70-200VR1. Owing the current bad economic circunstances, I kept the old trusty 17-55 2.8 to use in the 28-55mm range as I couldn´t afford the 24-70.
Nevertheless, I am getting tired to often need to switch btw the 3 lenses...
Therefore, I started lusting after a 24-120VR f/4 ( USD 1.015,00), or, an used 28-70 2.8 "tropical gray" look:wink:. (USD 1.180,00). I am in love with the look of the 28-70!
My main subjects are architecture and landscapes. Ocasionally, I also do some people events.
What would you do? Would like to know your recommendations:wink:

Hi, Rui,

I had the 28-70 2.8 for my D700. It fell and broke last year and I replaced it with a 24-120 instead of getting it repaired for +- the same cost.

The main reasons were:
Lighter (my wife really found the Beast too heavy), 24 instead of 28 and a bit more reach. I don't regret it to be honest.

Hi, Rui,

I had the 28-70 2.8 for my D700. It fell and broke last year and I replaced it with a 24-120 instead of getting it repaired for +- the same cost.

The main reasons were:
Lighter (my wife really found the Beast too heavy), 24 instead of 28 and a bit more reach. I don't regret it to be honest.

Thank you for your opinion, Kris.Yes, the 24-120 looks like the wise way to go.

Real Name
David
24-120 would be my first pick.

But many have said they are pleasantly surprised by the latest 24-85. If it was a 4.0/4.5 - 5.6 I probably would not suggest looking at it. But as it is 3.5-4.5 and $600 vs $1300 you might want to consider it. I would say is might come down to are you paid for "Ocasionally, I also do some people events."

24-120 especially since your needs won't require 2.8 and the VR is great for hand holding

24-120 would be my first pick.

But many have said they are pleasantly surprised by the latest 24-85. If it was a 4.0/4.5 - 5.6 I probably would not suggest looking at it. But as it is 3.5-4.5 and $600 vs $1300 you might want to consider it. I would say is might come down to are you paid for "Ocasionally, I also do some people events."

The 24-85 doesn´t tempt me at all. I´m almost sold to the 24-120... specially when I look at the HQ my 16-35 (same generation) shows...

Rui, your next update to this thread has to be "I bought it and am I love with it"

:)

I have nothing negative to say about my 24-120mm f/4. Snappy focus (never fails me, never hunt), sharp, versatile, light, descent built quality, no creeping. I loved it on my D7000 and even more so on my D800. It's a perfect match and for the relatively low price an unbeatable combination. I have had mine for almost 2 years, it's been traveling with me all over the world, looks and performs like new!

If somebody should force me (under torture) to say something negative, it would be that it sometimes displays a less than ideal bokeh for portraits compared to more expensive Nikon Zooms and most nikon primes.

As somebody else said, it should match your kind of (excellent) photography well. By the way, I purchased mine after seeing great examples of its capabilities here on the café, and trying it out in the shop for less than 15 minutes.

Just my humble opinion, not trying to influence you.:smile:

I have nothing negative to say about my 24-120mm f/4. Snappy focus (never fails me, never hunt), sharp, versatile, light, descent built quality, no creeping. I loved it on my D7000 and even more so on my D800. It's a perfect match and for the relatively low price an unbeatable combination. I have had mine for almost 2 years, it's been traveling with me all over the world, looks and performs like new!

If somebody should force me (under torture) to say something negative, it would be that it sometimes displays a less than ideal bokeh for portraits compared to more expensive Nikon Zooms and most nikon primes.

As somebody else said, it should match your kind of (excellent) photography well. By the way, I purchased mine after seeing great examples of its capabilities here on the café, and trying it out in the shop for less than 15 minutes.

Just my humble opinion, not trying to influence you.:smile:

Thank you so much! I´ve already made my mind - it will be the 24-120. Besides, the company who has the 24-70 2.8 "tropical look" for sale (Grays of Westminster, UK) informed me that the final price would be GBP 925, far from the one I was expecting.
With such a difference and your (all) wise advices, I´m ordering the 24-120 right away!:smile:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
And still Rui... (you knew it:biggrin:!)

Choosing the 24-120 seems a fine choice. But what I do not like about this lens is the F4. Not for the light -the next time someone says I need F... for low light, I'll walk away- but for the dof. F2.8 is better and I think worth the extra 500 EUR or so. I have the 24-70 and I can assure you, you can't go wrong with it. The build is just fine, on my D700 the total weight is no problem at all to walk all day with it and it is just a fine lens.

But I agree fully that you're the only person who can decide what is economically a good decision, for me of course it's easy to spend someone's else his money!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom