1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What would you touch up on this portrait?

Discussion in 'People' started by davidC, Aug 13, 2009.

1. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    I managed to get some snaps of my cousins in Houston a few weeks ago.
    I was wondering what type of touch ups you might to for a headshot like this.

I dodged the eyes a bit. tried to lighten up the bags under the eyes.
    Would you leave all the freckles? soften the skin?
    any way to make the eyes pop more?

tips? suggestions? critique? thanks!

3767135581_2f4eed5652_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I would probably
    1) warm white balance/ tweek and tighten crop
    2) remove some blemishes
    3) layer screen mask for eyes and reduce opacity
    4) Clone stray hairs
    5) possibly transform 5% of frame
    6)possibly tweek highlights in hair
    7)contrast layer using unsharp mask with possibly jsut the eyes..somethign like 20/250/10
    8) resize and sharpen for web

Give or take a step here and there depending on what it looks like while doing it

3. 3817836245_a7648f3263_o.png

It's not easy working on a web quality image. I would need full res to do it right.

4. First off: a very nice image of a pretty lady, well done.

Personally I would not do a whole lot to it. Remember that this is a personal image, not a cover for a fashion magazine - that would be quite another story.

She has freckles. That is the way she is and it would look very odd to her and others close to her to remove them.

All I would do is just soften up the image somewhat, without losing detail. It will make for a bit more flattering image.

Then remove the glitter on her teeth and a few intruding facial blemishes, lighten the eyes a little and be done with it. A lovely image of her the way she is.

Here goes (also, very limited headroom with a web image, but you will get the idea):

Original:

3767135581_2f4eed5652_o.jpg

With some light adjustments:

original.jpg

5. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    thanks...i think I need a new monitor at home. my contrast adjustment is stuck at 100% and seeing the image here it definitely isn't as warm as it was at home.

what techniques are you using to lighten the eyes? just select and brighten up under Layer > Adjustments > Brightness ?

Thanks for the help

6. Just a simple dodge tool pass in PS in a layer and adjust opacity to your liking.

7. 3819379448_b72e364184_o.jpg

8. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    my go at it

3817836245_a7648f3263_o.jpg

9. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Here's mine using Lightroom 2.
    I softened her face, sharpened her eyes and added a vignette.

3824523419_460dffc3d6_o.png

10. lf911sc

lf911sc

Jun 15, 2008
    Monmouth, NJ
    test2.jpg

11. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    To all of you that are removing the freckles.....WHY!!??

Freckles are part of who this girl is. That would be like me taking a picture of you and changing your eye color because I don't like your natural color.....or trying to give you a fake tan in photoshop. This girl looks SO much cuter with her freckles than in the images with them removed.

My wife has freckles and if somebody gave me a picture of her (regardless of how good) and her freckles were all removed, I'd probably throw it in the trash....because it's not a picture of my wife.

Removing a pimple that isn't normally there is one thing....removing freckles that are always there is completely different.

Frits has the best edit here....looks very much like the original without the slight skin tone/brightness problems that were in the original.

12. I would just remove the dark circles under the eyes and smooth the skin a little...
    116216425.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.