Whatever happend to....?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by jamesd3rd, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    The posts regarding the D700s focus & tracking ability to deal with BIF? Wasn't that a concern for some and wasn't someone supposed to come back with their personal eval? All previous discussions were all just supposition; no real practical field work.

I would think by now enough time has passed and someone would have come in from the marshes or wetlands long enough to inform us of his/her findings.

2. I used my friend's D700 and honestly, the AF was pretty spot on. I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one. I think the premium you pay for the D700 besides the sensor, is the AF module. I'd buy with confidence. :smile:

3. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    What is BIF James?

4. Babes in fur ?:confused: :biggrin:, Birds in Flight..

5. I think most of the D700 are too busy taking photos, the camera is just perfect, get one!

6. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Methinks birds in flight.

7. I still think a lot of serious birders are using DX so there is not much reporting on that aspect of the camera... I don't shoot them at all, so... Otherwise, fabulous!!

8. I was the one who posted the thread on that and I am still waiting. I noticed the dpreview (or was it dcr?) reported that focus was slower somewhere between the D3 and D300 but without published proof to back up the assertion.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have heard of 3 reports of it being better than the D300 (which isn't bad) but less than the D3. Now, how to quantify that? :biggrin: heck if I know.

10. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Methinks birds in flight.

What is the most important to get in focus:biggrin:

11. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Based on these comments...

I would think it would be pretty suitable for sports because I hardly think a human can change directions as fast as a bird. If that person exists, they are a very well kept secret.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    You need to read the entire post of his, there is an initial lock on difference, tracking once locked seems the same:

From Hogan:

13. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    That solidified my decision

To get one. But I'll wait in the bushes until I can pounce on one. Maybe the market will get depressed like the credit industry and I can capitalize on a deal. Or as unfornate as it is, some poor sub-prime lender whose business just took a massive blow and has a photography hobby is looking to unload one and is in need of cash.

14. LOL :biggrin:

You didnt read it, did you ?

15. I find the difference to be more like splitting hair..... almost unnoticeable...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.