What's considered a high # of exposures

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Louis Champan, Sep 22, 2005.

1. In considering the purchase of a used D2H or even a D2X, what would be considered excessively high as to the number of exposures the camera has on it?

Louie

2. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Louis,

The number of shots does wear a camera down but only certain parts of it. These parts can be replaced just like any piece of equipment. That said, I had a D1X ages ago that had 60K actuations, the first bloke that saw it balked at that and walked. The next person saw this and piffed at it and snapped the camera up - his good fortune as it had been fully serviced and was in excellent nick. Wish I had kept it now but thats another story.

A D2H had 30K clicks and again was in top condition. These cams can take between 100 - 250K actuations before shutter mechanisms become worn etc and need servicing. Alot depends on the owner and how they have treated it and where they have been.

Dont be turned off too much with the look of a camera. Although the general condition can be somewhat interpreted from it's presentation, I have brought 2nd hand gear that needed re-rubbering, a service and then performs with excellent results.

On the 2nd hand gear, I'd go the guarantee route, ask for 3mths cover - that should keep you happy (I hope !)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2005
  3. Thanks Simon. I've been considering a D2H with 6K clicks on it, maybe it's not so bad.

4. I think 6,000 is perfect. It's enough to say this photographer used it without any trouble, yet did not use it so much that it should be very worn. Honest-to-God, if you buy a used Nikon film camera like the truly ages old FA, you can be sure the clicks is probably into the hundreds of thousands, but these old cameras just keep working as designed and hold up so well. One thing about the pro digital bodies is that they are built every bit as tough and reliable as any of the old tank like film bodies that are still running strong. You might want to have any used camera serviced and cleaned after purchase if the previous owner didn't do it before the sale, but otherwise I really don't think you can predict when the cam will need service based on its clicks history. You might need a service at 6,000, or you might not need a service until 60,000. That's really just the way these pro bodies are. If it seems to be in good condition and everything works at the time of purchase, I really wouldn't be too concerned about it.

5. Thanks, I've pulled the trigger on the D2H and should have it by next week. Looking forward to shooting with a Pro camera.

6. I have a Fuji S3 that I hardly have over 1000 on it and I bought it a few years ago and my D2X is 7 mos old and has only 200 pictures on it. I don't use it much because I don't have too much to shoot around here where I live compared to the big cities and because I have no one to go shooting with so I just shoot my children most of them time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  7. Note to self...buy used stuff from Melissa if given the chance. :BigGrin:

You remind me of my dear departed dad in this regard. He never used stuff so it would stay new.
    Me...I use stuff, carefully...but a lot.

Heck, I think I fired off 200 shots with my D2H last week when it came back from Nikon...not to test the new meter. I just like the way it sounds at 8fps.
    Then I noticed it doesn't sound "exactly" the same as the D2X in 8fps HSC so I fired off another 100 with each camera comparing the sounds.

I hardly ever sell anything(or if so cheaply to friends) so what the heck. I ain't never heard of anyone wearing out any Nikon body. Never ever.

8. Hi Vernon,

I just don't shoot a lot because there isn't much to shoot where I live. I have to drive 5 hours to DC to take any decent pictures. Plus I don't have anyone to shoot with here where I live. So I just shoot the family.
    I will be using it when I go to San Francisco a lot in December for the xmas holidays.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  9. Melissa, you're a riot!! I live in the heart of a huge city and I'm always saying "there's nothing to shoot" until I get into my kayak. Folks who live out in the country say they want to shoot cities, and city folk say they want to shoot nature away from buildings and people etc. Wanna swap houses for a few weeks??!!! LOL

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Sad to say, but statements like this "there isn't anything to shoot here" are all too common. I encounter these on each and every workshop I run. My task then is to convince the participant this is false, the problem is not where you live, but your commitment to the process of "seeing" images.

A common belief with aspiring nature photographers is that they would create great images, if they only were to attend a Safari in Africa. However, if you can't "see", and create, images in your own backyard or neighbourhood, you definitively won't be better off on an expensive Safari. So the only solution is to have a camera with you as often you can, shoot pictures everywhere, and learn that it is a bonus to return to a familiar area, because you can get deeper into the visual possibilities that place, with certainty, has to offer for each new visit. You will simply "see" more and more as time goes, just like your eyes adjust themselves to near darkness. And finally, do remember photographers take pictures, not cameras.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. Yes Bjorn, you are so correct. Living in a city, my eyes get inundated with 'city' stuff and yet they also overlook some really great 'city' photo opps. I've alway wanted to put on some comfy shoes and just photograph all the gargoyles on the incredible stone buildings here. I think when people say 'there's nothing to shoot', they're really hankering after something different, something away from their normal, everday sightings. Yes, there always is SOMETHING to shoot if we just open our eyes.
    large.

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Put on a "new" eye and then even the mundane scenery can come alive with a different look, and indeed, new opportunities.

14. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    You wouldn't want my cameras!

D2X already passing 75000
    D2H over 200000