What's considered high mileage for a motor scooter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 31, 2007.

1. I'm looking to buy a used 2005 Honda Ruckus Scooter. The guy is selling it with Moped lock, helmet and paid 2007 registration for $1850. The scooter has 971 miles on it. I'm wondering for a scooter, is that pretty high? Considering I can buy a new one for $2050, not including tax, registration, helmet, etc. I'm thinking of negotiating for a cheaper price, but for the moped/scooter experts here, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Fwiw, my 1979 Vespa P200 has 5000+ miles on it. Still goin' strong.
  3. dsp921

May 16, 2006
    The mileage doesn't sound too high, but the price does. Closer to $1500 sounds more like it to me.
  4. I actually found another Ruckus one block from my apartment. It also has a cheaper price and less miles! I can't wait to go scootering around LA! Should be fun!
  5. Do be careful. Do you have any two wheel experience?

Just as easy to get clobbered, if not easier, on a scooter than it is on my over powered sport bike.
  6. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    yeah, the pavement hurts either way, and with as many cars as their are in LA, I think I'd choose the protection of fenders myself... YMMV.
  7. for a Honda, that is VERY low miles - in LA, pass on the scooter and get a good used tank....
  8. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    That is exceptionally low mileage, but I agree that the $$ are too close to a new one. I'd negotiate, or buy the new scooter. I put 69,000 miles on my last Honda 2 wheel - a GoldWing. Enjoy!
  9. Beezle is quite right. If you do go the scooter route, choose one that'll keep up with whatever you're liable to "share" the road with. The 50cc critters are really second-class citizens as far as sharing the road. They just can't keep up with 45-65 mph cars and trucks.

FWIW the slowest of my 2 wheelers is the Vespa (200 cc) 68 mph...
  10. I don't plan to go far from my house. I just plan to use it when I run errands and hit the local lunch spots. I'm also planning to do some low key off-roading on it, as long as the park rangers don't catch me! hehe...

This one looks like mine, except I have desert camoflauge:

This Ruckus is modded, and looks sick!

I feel like a 28 year old kid. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever grow up? Haha!
  11. Your first accident should take care of the growing up part.

Seriously though, I have been riding motorcycles, mostly high powered sport bikes, since the early 1970s.

And I have never been in a single accident of any kind. Not one. But THAT is a miracle and a testament to how careful I am.

I have been hit five times while riding bicycles on the street. And I have personally known over 20 bikers that died on their motorcycles. Two in the last year alone. Many of my friends give it up every time one of us dies. The danger is real!

I know scooters are more relaxed and I would enjoy one of those myself, but if you are in anything like real traffic your life will depend on your learning how to stay out of trouble before someone puts the big smack on you.

Staying out of trouble is a lot easier when you have some power. But it also gets a lot of people into trouble because they can't control themselves.

Anyway, just think about safety is all I am saying. Keep your eyes open. Make the assumption that the other vehicles are in fact trying to kill you. Because they are.
  12. I've come to the realization that LA drivers are all bad drivers and if I get hit, it's my fault for not anticipating their lack of driving ability. That mentality has kept me safe...except for parking tickets! :wink:

Thanks for all the concern though, and I'll try my best to use my head on the streets. I do a lot of bicycle riding, and I always prefer to avoid cars as much as possible anyways. So I'll use that same common sense and double it!
  13. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Remember not to store your helmet under the seat - looks like it'll get stolen quickly :smile:
  14. Sorry for the lecture. Be sure to post some photos once you get the beast.
  15. Addressing the price issue... To me this is not a good price at all. A car or truck depreciates in value 25-30% as soon as it is driven off the lot. The seller has only reduced the price by 200$ and put 1800 miles on it. The dealership probly would knock 200$ off if ya negotiated or waited to buy an '07 model when the 08's come out and he wants to clear out "Last Years" models. The seller is not doing you any favors. Shop around as you have already said you found one with lower miles for a better price. Nope that wasnt a good deal...
  16. $1500 tops. Price of a used helmet isn't much. Personally i wouldn't want to wear a strangers helmet, the sweat and funk of someones head doesn't appeal to me much.