What's in a handle / screen name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jemaerca, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I don't think we've had a thread on this. Greg just started a request for folks to include their real name on their signature and that got me thinking what the story is behind the screen name everyone uses. The avatar thread I started a while back brought some really interesting stories and I'm hoping it will be the same for this thread.

The story behind my screen name is pretty boring: it's the first couple of letters of my name (JErric), my wife's (MArtha), and our two daugthers (ERica and CAmila). Care to share the story behind yours?

BTW, Greg's request thread is here:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186999

The avatar thread is here:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=177123

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. My handle has been the same for many years. Since I have shot SLR cameras since the 60s, it was obvious that it should be SLRShooter.

3. My name is Jonathan, and back when I was on dpreview I went by Jonathan F. I got banned for some stupid reason, and decided to go by Jonathan F/2. It also denotes my favorite f-stop! :smile:

4. Simple for me...

"nucci" is the last part of my last name and is used as a nickname at times.

"family" is simply what I love most.

5. Simple. "Pa" is what my grandchildren call me.

6. My first name an last initial....I feel so uncreative now, LOL!

7. Ryan Last Name. HawkerXP is the plane I fly. The Hawker 800XP.

PAS_2301.jpg

8. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Join the club, Sonya! :biggrin:

9. errr...my first name - that simple/boring :smile:

10. I guess I am in the uncreative boat with Sonya and Nancy... "M" first initial, "Yarbrough" last name.

11. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    When I first got on the internet in 1994, I wanted an aviation related handle, since I fly. Wingtip, fuselage, and all the other obvious names were always taken, so I came up with Wingspar. Wing Spar is actually two words, and is the main structural component that runs the length of the wings that the wing spars attach to.

12. Many years ago when I was first really getting into the whole internet thing I had Prodigy as my ISP and at that time they had very boring combinations of numbers and letters chosen by them, not the account holder. For a while, too, I had free access to the internet via the Virginia State Library, and again that account name was one chosen by the provider: my first initial and last name. When I decided to switch providers and I had the opportunity to develop my own user name I started mulling it over....and one day the name "Clix Pix" just popped into my mind and that was that! I've used it ever since as an email address name and also user name on forums. It's also on my car's license plates! :biggrin:

When a few years ago I purchased a domain with the ambitious idea of developing a website (never did get around to that!) I came up with another handle, Talihar, a combination of the names of my two cats.

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    = Filipino :biggrin:

14. I just love to travel, having been to 44 countries.

When I first started on some travel boards, my nickname was Dr_Traveler but that sounded really pompous even to me (I am retired now and don't need a title to try to sound important) and I quickly cut it back to The_traveler which I am now wherever I am registered.

15. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

My handle actually comes from my better half's nickname. He can bench press more than anyone he works out with (350 to be exact) and they call him Rock, so I'm Rocksgirl, ;)

16. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm a huge Lightning (Bolts) fan!

17. Well, my first name is Joe and my last name is NOT Lincoln.... :)))

I use this handle in many places. I wanted one that was easy to understand, had my first name so people had something to call me, but kept my identity somewhat protected. And since I am a member of a Lincoln club.... Voila' !

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Mine is pretty easy,

commodore 64 first CPU used, commodore Amiga first good graphic CPU owned, and I was associated with friends on the first 64 BBS board in the St. Louis area back in the old days. Early 1980s I think.

19. :biggrin::biggrin: Love it! Always wondered why a guy named Francis Joseph went by Phillip!

20. Mine just harkens back to the job I had for a long time in the Air Force -- a Minuteman 3 ICBM launch crew commander. Best job I have ever had.

And as the guys say nowadays ... "heck, you don't have to find which CAVE Osama's hiding in ... jet tell me which MOUNTAIN it is and we'll take care of him!!"

(just a joke ...)

Cheers!!

Ken