What's in an Avatar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jemaerca, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread on this.

There are a lot of avatars here that aren't self-explanatory (at least to me). So, if you don't mind, could you describe what your avatar is and more importantly, why it represents you?

For those with self-portraits, why did you choose that particular image of yourself as your avatar?

I'll start: mine is a heavily-cropped image taken by a friend while we were shooting our daughters' gymnastics competition. He sent it to me around the time I was looking for an avatar for this forum and that was that. Pretty simple (and boring) story for me. But I'm sure there are some interesting stories behind a lot of avatars here so let's hear 'em!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My avatar was taken by a professional photographer while I was working at a large structure fire. I was the pump operator for this fire and the photographer was standing on the hose bed of our engine for a higher vantage point. I happened to look up and found him focusing on my face. Coincidently, I'll be changing my avatar in the near future.

3. Mine is pretty simple too.
    Just me on top of Vail mountain with my Nikon Café cap on.
    Vail's one of my favorite places so that's why I did the shot there.

The little bump between StL and Don in the avatar is the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

Don

4. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Mine is a picture of my cat Mewww. I've had his face as my avatar on several forums for several years. Why? Cos he's got a cute face!

Alas he was killed by a car a few weeks ago and, as such, I think he'll be my avatar forever now.

He lives on in my heart and cyberspace!

5. Mine is a self-portrait. No, really. :smile:

I guess I could change to an image of me, but so many say I'm an old dinosaur that this seems to fit lol.

6. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Mine is my first attempt at a self portrait. And my first attempt using off camera flash.

7. My avatar represents a laid back life I would like to lead. For now it is a vacation photo.

8. My husband and I shoot a lot of birds. And since we are from Arkansas where
    the previously declared extinct Ivory-billed Woodpecker was "found", I use the Ivory-billed as my avatar...

9. mine is from a 2007 Ducati 1098
    i love motorcycles
    i do not have a ducati at THIS time, by the way

i ride a BMW K1200GT

here is a picture of the WHOLE bike from where my avatar picture arose

[​IMG]

10. Mine is a picture of my horse "Dobro", a Hungarian Halfblood [R.I.P. 1965] , I owned in the sixties. Equis25, because that was available when I wanted to vent my displeasure in a financial forum @ Yahoo about the inhumane way Premarin is produced. [The general public does not know it, but it involves urine of mares kept pregnant constantly and foals leading a very short life as they find their way to the dinner table...]

11. Hmm - well mine happens to be the only 'self-portrait in a mirror shot' that I've ever done - and it's got my deviant smile peeking around the camera (if you notice - I'm not even lined up to look through the viewfinder hehe)

12. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Mine is of my son last year intercepting the ball against our biggest rival. This was a big play for him and I was so excited I was at the right place at the right time. My son is everything to me and I love shooting his sports, ufortunately he will be a senior this year so...:frown:

13. I did not want a pic of my aged old self for an avatar, so after going to a craft festival and getting this caricature done, and the artist capturing my hobby so well, it was just a no-brainer.

14. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Someone took a pic of me while taking a shot, so I figured I'd throw an "action shot" up here as my avatar haha

15. Mine is Dr. Strangelove from the movie of the same name.

I chose it because it is one of my favorite movies.

16. Mine is a very simple self portrait I took for the purpose of renewing my permit to carry. Like Frank, I intend to change this image soon as it has served its purpose.

Update: Changed by avatar to a picture of my wife and I.

17. Mine is a parrot I took a shot of in Key West, I thought it was pretty and since it-was in focus i used it as my avatar. :smile:

18. My avatar was taken by Kurt (Kemnik), who was my backup at a recent wedding. It shows the connection I had with the bride and groom, and that I had fun doing my job. I use the same picture on my business cards.

19. No special reason other than it is one of the only recent shots of myself I have.

20. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Mine was taken by my 10-year-old daughter while I was giving her lessons in studio lighting.