What's Missing For You

"I can do 90% plus of my work in NX2"

I've heard so many people echo my sentiments about NX2's capabilities.

But my question is:

What is the small percentage that makes you have to go to another package?

In my case it is to blend two different images.

Blending two versions (or more) of the same image in NX2 is easy but I often need to blend two different images for montage effects in slide shows.

Mike's INVERT button or similar does not count!

For me, I do my cloning with the cloning brush in photoshop elements. Can't seem to get the same flexibility in CNX2.

Smart Fill/Cloning
HDR
Stiching
Completely removing backgrounds
Smudge
Topaz Filters
Fisheye Hemi
Circular crops of my fisheye
Adding text

While the spot healing tool is nice, I find it's just that, a tool for spots. For removing anything larger I have to drop into PS

I use Photoshop for anything having to do with image editing as opposed to image adjusting. 99% of the time that includes only the following, which is so simple that it can be done in Photoshop Elements 1:

Cloning (when NX2's Auto Retouch Brush is insufficient)
Perspective control to eliminate keystoning

Until very recently, I used Photoshop to quickly correct color cast of JPEGs. Thanks to DaveG, I now use CNX2 to do that.

I never use Photoshop to adjust images as opposed to editing them. Believe it or not, I don't even use Photoshop to automatically invert selections. :biggrin:

Blending two versions (or more) of the same image in NX2 is easy
I'm confused, Dave. What do you mean by that?

As an example, I might capture two very different exposures of the same image to ensure that one exposure correctly captures the highlights and the other exposure properly captures the shadows. I would then open each version in different layers of Photoshop. I would then erase the highlights in the layer exposed to properly capture the shadows and flatten the layers to achieve one file containing the ideal exposure of extreme highlights and shadows.

I don't know of any way to do that in CNX2 but your comment makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

What missing for me....reliability....
This SW is not ready for prime time IMHO.
Seems to suffer from massive memory leaks on my Win7-64 system.
I can't work on more than about 3 images before it hangs/crashes claiming its out of memory.
With 12Gb of physical memory and 40Gb of dedicated SSD temp, there isn't a memory problem...its a code problem....

As result -- it never gets used...darn shame.

But Fred,

If it were a problem with the software wouldn't EVERYONE get the same problem?

I'm currently working in XP32 with a sixth of your memory and I really don't know what you mean by a "memory leak" - if I get it, I am certainly not held up by it.

DG

Mike,

In its simplest form it is possible to perform an edit of a sky in a landscape NEF using a Multi Edit Step and Mask or a Colour Control Point(s).

You can then use another Multi Edit Step and Mask or Colour Control Point(s) on the foreground.

The two Edits are performed and blended on the NEF in RAW.

You can take this a step further and do this for multiple areas of the single NEF. All steps are continuously adjustable and interactive. The edits can be saved to an Edited NEF.

This is HDR on a single RAW image without the need for using alternative software.

If the DR is greater than one NEF can cope with then bracketed exposures need to be blended either manually or by means of dedicated software outside of NX2.

Dave,

Thanks for your explanation of your use of the term, "blend." That makes perfect sense.

I have never used HDR software, so it's possible that my understanding of the so-called definition of HDR may not be accurate. My understanding is that HDR by definition makes use of more dynamic range than is available when using a single image. Using that definition, I would say that it's inherently not possible to apply HDR using CNX2 on a single RAW image. (I seem to remember that some cameras are now capturing several images and applying the HDR in-camera to produce just one file. In my mind, that is "post-processing" being done in the camera.)

Fred - my experience is similar, except that it is usually only one image open that causes it to crash. I've had this same problem on my AMD XP system as well as my i7 Win7 64bit system. Multiple reinstalls, system cleanings, endless pleas for support, all to no avail.

Dave - look over at Nikonians. Fred and I certainly are not alone; this is a rampant problem. Your position is the same as Nikon Support's: our software is perfect - it's your problem and don't even talk to us about it.

Hi Mike,

If you open a well exposed but contrasty NEF in NX2 and slide the Exposure Compensation fully to the right you have just opened up the shadows by 2 stops (at the expense of the highlights). Add a little Shadow Protection and you'll drag even more detail out of the shadows.

Isn't that extending the DR of a single image?

Unfortunately it doesn't work as well in the opposite direction!

By using D-Lighting, LCH and/or Curves etc in place of the Exposure Compensation slider it is possible to get a much broader range of tones out of the NEF whilst using the various masks (SCPs and CCPs etc) to balance the exposure and take advantage of that extra range of tones.

Nikon Support's: our software is perfect - it's your problem and don't even talk to us about it.
Stilson,

If I remember correctly, Nikon acknowledged to you in writing that a memory leak in their software was causing the problem. Though their lack of follow-up afterward is disappointing to me and I'm sure even more so to you, they didn't seem to take the attitude in that regard that their software is perfect.

Having said that, if I was continuously experiencing the awful problem that you're experiencing, I'm not sure that I would continue using CNX2.

Stilson,

Mike has more or less confirmed my experiences.

Some get it some don't.

I know of some XP users who are getting issues but I'm not. I don't know the answer but logically (to me) if it works OK on some computers running XP but not on others then I would start to look for something else other than NX2 or XP.

I'm running XP Media Edition.

I don't run Anti Virus, Firewall etc - don't need it.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom