What's next?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by dwind, Aug 14, 2008.

1. dwind

dwind Guest

The d700 is out and I can't imagine a better camera at it's price point.
    For those of us that have one or are getting one what will entice you to buy the next generation of nikon cameras in 18 months?
    Higher iso? Faster focus? More pixels? more shots per second? 3d? sound? video?

2. I just like new toys, so if I have the money when the next one comes out, I'll probably get one too, LOL! It's a nasty addiction, I tell ya!

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    If Sonya does it, so will I. :tongue:

4. You know when I joined the cafe last October I had a D80, 2 kit lenses, a 50mm 1.8, and a tamron 28-75.....oh how things have changed with all the *education* I've gotten here...LOL!

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Well October of last year was when I purchased my first DSLR - the D80! What a coincidence! :eek:

6. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    To be honest I think the D700/D3 have set the bar on high ISO useability. At times the D700's ISO 6400 images have color, detail, and dynamic range that I couldn't even get at ISO 1600 on a Canon EOS 5D.

Regardless of any other feature, resolution, speed, or technical improvement, I know that I won't be taking a step backwards in terms of the high ISO usability. Limiting that to the next 18 months, I doubt we will see another full frame with the same high ISO capabilities. I suspect a resolution bump by then, but not sure how well they will do on the high ISO noise.

I remember going from the Canon 30D to the 40D, and while they professed the amazing resolution increases their marketing wording was something to the effect of "no increase in high ISO noise" - however I can find numerous examples in my own library of photos taken at nearly identical settings in which the 40D has 'worse noise or less appealing noise' then I got with my 30D. In a way I wish I didn't leave the 30D for the 40D at the time. That lesson learned is what I am applying here, as I've never been happier then with the D700, it will take alot of evidence for me to leave it.

7. dwind

dwind Guest

Adam, that's just how I feel. I went the D200, D300 router and both left me 'wanting' a little more. Now the D700 has left me satisfied which made me curious on what Nikon could do to tempt me towards another camera. Pixels won't do it, high ISO lets me shoot pretty much in the dark and full frame is wonderful.

8. I think I will upgrade my D200 when the prosumer version is released of the D3X (D900?). I would like to have full frame, but would like more pixels so I can crop my images without too much image loss. I like the D700, but I would like to have a higher pixel count when in crop mode.

I think something in the low 20's mp sensor size would be nice. I figure I could crop heavily and still have a 10 mp image left. Of course the high ISO and dynamic range would be improved over the D3/D700 as a added bonus.

9. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

a new camera every 18 months? good luck with that.do you ralize the quality lenses you could have insted of more pixels.at this point its gonna take more than a 700 indroduced 6 months after the 300 for me to move up.

10. More pixels? I can't imagine needing more than 12 mpx if you shoot tight. Better to invest in glass than more pixels. More pixels means you'll be buying faster computer and bigger hard drives. Who makes 20X30 prints of every shot?

11. Carl, I think I will be skipping the next round of bodies, maybe the next. Very happy with the D700. What could they do to entice me? Not sure yet as I have yet to explore the D700 enough to know!

12. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    Look for the D3 with 24 MP sensor, available for the holidays.

13. only if it brews expresso with the touch of a button....and I dont mean buried
    in the menus...:biggrin::biggrin:

14. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

herd that recently with the 300 and 3

15. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I want modular sensors so that I could use 24M DX for birds, 24M FF for landscape and people, and high ISO 12M for low light. B&W and infra sensors will be nice too.

Probably good idea to have 2G buffer on board and built in 64G SSD.

Anyways if the D90 can take good quality movies I might be tempted to buy one too!

16. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    I just want a tiny, lightweight lens
    24-105 f/2.8
    with no CA
    no distortions
    no vignetting
    no front/back focus
    no searching
    no ghosting
    no field curvature
    excellent MTF tests.

I would pay as much as a D700,
    after all, it's the lens that make the image, not the camera

17. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Do what I did and get the 24-70/2.8 and 105VR/2.8. All carried in a Think Tank Urban Disguise 30. That's the way to get what you're asking for for the forseeable future.

18. You must have a fantastic "day job!" Or a hard working husband! :biggrin:

19. All of my gear was bought with earnings from my photography business. My day job is *momma*. Mike's money pays the bills, LOL!

20. That's great Sonya! Sounds like you are doing well in a short amount of time. It is nice to have the support of another income to help with overhead, etc. You have the best of both worlds.