What's that humming sound??

OMG BEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!

RUN FOR IT!!!

kensington242.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

came across this colony while hiking tonight - I heard them before I saw them

yeah I did use the 300 - but I was still only about 10 feet away - I could hear the constant hum of the whole colony - I got in and out pretty quick - it was kinda dark under the canopy so I shot with my SB600.

yeah I did use the 300 - but I was still only about 10 feet away - I could hear the constant hum of the whole colony - I got in and out pretty quick - it was kinda dark under the canopy so I shot with my SB600.

Yikes... I'd be afraid I'd spook em with the flash going off.

You're braver than I :eek:

yeah my guess was honey bees as well - they are kinda right off the trail - I'm thinking of telling the Nature Center if I can get there early enough (they close between 5-6pm) so they can maybe call their apiarist and move the colony somewhere safer.

Great shot, and mighty brave of you to get it. From my limited understanding of Bee behavior, I believe the reason they are swarming at that location is because the Queen is there, and they may be starting a new colony. It's a good thing they were not African Killer Bees! You would have been in serious trouble becaues they are far more agressive that the European Honey Bee. Count your blessings, my man!

I think the tree they were in was partially knocked down (and thusly exposing the colony) because I've never seen them before and I walk this trail all the time - and there looks to be freshly broken tree bits on the ground. I'm gonna try to let the nature center know this weekend about them.

I went by this evening after the rain blew through and they were all sleeping :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom