What's the concensus on the new Coolpix S4?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Steve S, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    After doing a search on good 'ol DPR, all I came up with were ppl complaining about it's lack of 30fps in Movie mode, which is absurd, since it wasn't designed as a movie camera, it's a still camera. I've always wanted a swivel body P&S camera for it's obvious utility.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I like the concept of that camera too! I now have a CP950, and one of the best features (besides unprecidented IR sensitivity) is the standardized 38 (or whatever) mm screw thread on the lens. This allows me to connect the 950 to just about any instrument I like. Does the S4 have a screw thread in the front?

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I was at first thrilled with the revival of the swivel body, I love my 990 and the thought of that shape with a large sensor was getting my attention. After reading the specs, it's just another P&S and I don't want one. Why? Several things, first, no exposure modes other than the programs. I shoot 99% in Aperture priority, some Man and some Shutter. Next, there is no manual focus. On of my biggest complaints of the 4500 was a lack of MF scale. The finder and/or rear lcd aren't good enough to judge focus. Granted, the average user will never use these features, but I would. There are many more of us out here who would also, but looks like we'll never get the chance. Nikon had made it's reputation by being a photographer's camera maker. Now, they just want market share.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Scene Modes only?

Hmm, that doesn't sound too good. Did any of the other earlier swivel lens CP models have A or S priority modes? I never owned one before, so I don't know. I do see where you are able to apply + or - EV Comp. I wonder what "mode" one would use that feature in? :confused: It's also got 5 position WB, fine tunable, with manual preset. I do also like the Auto redeye reduction, the D-Lighting, and the in-camera crop features. Just another P&S, yes, of course it is, but I'm not ready to totally write it off just yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  5. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    Its strange how Nikon put aperture priority into the P1 and P2 and neglected to do the same for the S4. I've played with one, and I think the image quality is pretty good.. but the design is pretty poor as far as handling goes. They made it too small and coupled with the 2.5" screen its hard to hold.

If they had just kept the Coolpix 4500 body and improved the electronics/LCD and slapped a 6mp sensor into it.. that thing would outsell a lot of other cameras instantly.

6. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I like it!

I had a 995 as my favorite P&S but it died last year. I replaced it with a 5400 (Because I missed my 5000 that I sold to buy a D100!) but I never liked the quality of the photos. I wanted something smaller and this seemed to fit the bill. After working with it a few weeks, I am happy. The photos are good; clear, sharp and usually well exposed. When I want more control, I use my D100. So, for me, it does exactly what I wanted,