What's the deal with Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX?

Everywhere I look it's on backorder and going for alot more than retail on Ebay, does anyone know why?

So frustrating, I've finally found a lens I think I would enjoy and can't find it at an online store! RAWR!

Any similar recommendations? I'm an amatuer, for sure haha, and am looking for a lens with a lower f-stop than 3.5, thanks everyone!

ps. I have a Nikon D3000 and have been shooting with it for just over a year now. Just looking for something new to try!

it could be that Nikon is just out of them and they are producing a new batch. I would wait a couple of weeks, I am sure once they show up they'll be everywhere again.

50mm 1.4g?

I am going to check it out :)
Thank you!

it could be that Nikon is just out of them and they are producing a new batch. I would wait a couple of weeks, I am sure once they show up they'll be everywhere again.

I didn't think of this, I was thinking discontinued and it scared me haha!

What else are you shooting with?

Like, lens or camera? I have a Canon AE-1 and Pentax K1000, but those are just my 35mm and I'm trying to get more into digital photography right now.

I'd just walk into a regular store and buy one. I see them everywhere.

There's only one local store and everything is special order through them, very limited selection :(

Local stores are going away because people purchase online. Yours is evidently so bad everything is special order because they can not afford to stock anything.

Go order one from local and they can get it from Nikon in a few days. No big deal.

It is fine lens and worth the wait. I have had mine for 10 days now.

I used to have one of them on a D90- a very fine and light combination for the non-FX crowd here - a great choice for cost and weight

Do you live close to a Bestbuy? A lot of the stores have them in stock. I know several of the stores around Oklahoma City have them in stock.

Hey Ryan... this lens has gone through ebbs and flows for a while. They seem to ship all at once, and when they do, there's a huge influx of them into the market, and then a few weeks later, they're all sold. Same thing happen when I bought myself a copy of this amazing lens about a year and a half ago.

Which brings me to my next point: this lens is awesome. On DX, it's one of the best. Super sharp wide open, the color rendition is amazing, and it's CHEAP!

The prices you see on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. are people trying to make a quick buck off the worry that the tsunami in Japan means no more lenses for a while. This isn't true. Wait a few weeks and plenty more 35mm 1.8's will pop up.

Wow everyone, thanks for the responses!
I just looked at BestBuy and there is one local :)
I am so excited!

Michael, thanks for the response man! This is so encouraging on my decision and definitely gives me some information I didn't even think of!

One last question! Big difference with this lens compared to the 50mm f/1.4G?

I went ahead and ordered one from Adorama, so when they get them in I'll be on the list (hopefully high enough to actually get one). It's $192 w/ free shipping.

Not that this is going to help you, but I phoned a localish store, asked for the 35/1.8 and SB-900, they took my cc number, then one of their staff drove out here (20min drive) and delivered them! Nice.

Not that this is going to help you, but I phoned a localish store, asked for the 35/1.8 and SB-900, they took my cc number, then one of their staff drove out here (20min drive) and delivered them! Nice.

:eek: Wish I could get service like that in Oz.... Must be a trans Tasmin thing :biggrin:

35mm and the 900 are a nice combo I quite enjoy it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom