Whats the differance between...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Picturepro, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Nikon D70 and D70S

searched the www... and can determine what is?

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    From D50 Review on DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/
    Differences between D50 and D70/D70s
    Although quite similar in use and appearance there are some noteworthy differences between the D50 and D70, we have detailed all of the feature / specification differences in the table below. To summarize the most important; the D50 has improved auto focus especially in the area of motion tracking, it has a new auto AF mode (which automatically switches between single and continuous AF depending on the subject), it has a lower resolution metering sensor but that sensor is a newer generation than the one used in the D70 (and D70s) - spot metering circle is also larger, the maximum shutter speed is 1/4000 sec, continuous shooting is 2.5 fps, it has a better viewfinder eyecup, the LCD monitor has increased to 2.0" in size, the D50 takes SD cards (not CF), it's slightly smaller and lighter than the D70 and several features have been removed or simplified to make the camera easier to use.

The only key difference between the D50 and D70 from an image pipeline point of view is that the image processing algorithm has now been tweaked to improve rendition of highlight detail (to clip less and have a softer roll-off to the highlight). It's also worth noting that the D50's default color space mode is IIIa which is still sRGB but is described as being optimized for nature and landscape photographs, you can see the difference in the sample on this page of our D70 review.

3. i think the question was d70 to d70s. I remember seeing this info prior to the release of the d70s but can not remember wherre.?I expect a look at nikondigital.org or.com would reveal this.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, this article shows differences

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/nikon_d50_pg8.html

5. I have both a D70 and a D70s. The only differences that I can actually see are (1) larger LCD on the "s", and (2) longer battery life for the "s".

I did do the firmware upgrade on the D70 last summer, which supposedly narrows the difference between the two cameras. Also, the battery recall netted me an EN-EL3e battery, which has the same mAh rating as the EN-EL3a which came with the "s".

Thus the only difference that I see, as a user, is the slightly larger LCD display. There may be other, more subtle, differences that I don't notice in actual use. I think the "s" is supposed to focus faster, but after the firmware upgrade I haven't noticed any differences.

6. Hmmm New D70s...about $500

I keep reading post for $550-650 OBO for used D70... so the listings are over priced

I'm lookin to convert it to http://www.lifepixel.com/

and want a good file... LP said he uses a D70s...

7. Every change made in the D70S that has been noticed is in the physical- slighlty different coloration around the shutter release, cable release added (MC-DC1 cord I think), En-El3A battery, 2.0" LCD with the same # of pixels.

8. cool thank afs

my goal it to convt to IR camera and the small camera size is better than my D1x
    I want to do just 20-30 shot per event, D70S seem to fit my requirements
    and battery will work from D200 to D70s... I believe from what I've read

$569 is the best new price... maybe in the next couple weeks someone will
    lower thie price once the D200 become availble

9. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    It's definitely a good camera for that.
    Where have you seen $569? Be very, very careful.

I can't picture any legitimate seller at $569. B&H is at $829.95, Adorama has them at $819.95 (they've also got a factory refurbished D70s at $719.95).