What's the difference btw SC-28 and SC-29 cords?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Skunkabilly, May 16, 2007.

1. Other than the AF assist, what's the difference between the SC-28 and the SC-29?

2. Just the assist. I have the SC-28 and it works fine for me.

3. Likewise, I have the SC-28 and not found a need for addiitonal AF lights. Mind you I'm mostly using MF with a tripod when the flash is off camera and I can't use the inbuilt speedlight control function.

Maybe I'd need an SC-29 if I was using a flash bracket.

4. If I want to use SB800 with it's iTTL capability, should I use the 29 or 28? Or can I even use other cheaper cords... like.. well I'm not sure... SC 17?? The camera will be D200 or Fuji S5.

Thanks,
    Leo

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi leo-

the SC-17 will work just fine. i was using one before i got my SC-29. i would recommend the 29 though if you've got an off-camera flash as the AF-assist is a big help, and it's always pointed at the subject.

ricky

6. Thanks for the explanation, Ricky.

But I'm wondering what is actually AF assist? Does the AF here stands for Auto Focus? So how does the cord contribute to the focusing since the focusing is done on the camera. Does it give some light on dark situations so that the camera can "see"??

Does the SU-800 commander have this feature also? I'm thinking about getting an SU-800 later if I have more $$ so I don't have to deal with cords and have more distance flexibility. For now, probably I'll get one of the cords. So what other cords (than SC 17, 28 29) can be used for the SB 800 and D200 to utilize the iTTL?

Leo

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi leo-

you're correct, the SC-29 has an autofocus assist light, similar to the one on the SB-800. it's a lot more accurate than using the one on the SB-800 when i have the SB-800 mounted and rotated on my stroboframe pro-T.

i don't have an SU-800, but according to nikon's website, it also has an AF-assist light.

as for other cables that give i-TTL, i think the SC-17, SC-28 and SC-29 are the only ones (but i could be wrong).

as an option while you don't have a cord, you can use the on-board flash of the D200 in commander mode and have it control your SB-800.

ricky

8. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    thr SU-800 does have the AF assist. I picked one up a few weeks ago and did a corporate shoot last week with Walter Mondale, my SU-800 and 2 SB-800's. Lit up a big room.
    So happy I can retire my Dynalites

9. If you ever plan on using your camera on a flash bracket that roatates the camera then it might be easier to stick with the SC-28. A few of the nicer flash brackets will end up blocking the sensor of the SC-29.

10. BillRogers

BillRogers Guest

One. The difference between SC-29 and SC-28 is one. Similarly, the difference between SB-800 and SB-600 is 200. This stuff is really easy. Why do people make it so complicated?