What's the market like for selling used Telephoto glass?

Curious what the used market might be for some of my Nikon gear. I no longer shoot sports and have no immediate desire to but still enjoy shooting. I realize that might depend on the demand for what I have to sell. How are people coming up with a fair sale price?

I don’t want to use eBay and like to sell local since it is nice to meet the buyer and the buyer also has a recourse but Craigslist is not much better. I haven’t really tried Facebook and photography forums haven’t done that well for me. Not that I am active, I don’t like the hassle so tend to just keep gear even if I don’t use it.

I currently shoot with a D5 and D850 and virtually all the pro zooms. When shooting sports my typical setup included a 600 F4 on one body and a 200-400 f4 on the other. Occasionally I would carry a 3rd body with a 70-200 or 14-24.

I am thinking about picking up a new Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Lens since it seemed most of my published images came from the 200-400. While the 200-400 worked perfectly for tight in camera framed images and I had the 600 for down field action. While I love the 200-400, it did seem to fall short when the subject was farther away and significant cropping was required. The 200-400 is still the lens I grab when I want a do all lens, still reviews seem even better for the newer version.

I have also kept a D3S since I have an underwater housing for it but now that I have a new UW housing for my D850 I’d like sell it. I also have an AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II I used when shooting poorly lite fields but now that I don’t shoot any High School, or even Seattle Sounders when they play at Starfire, I rarely if ever use it anymore.

Wish I didn’t despise the selling process so much but it would be nice for someone to get use out of what is still some excellent gear.

I rarely sell equipment, but I moved from nikon to sony and had a bunch of stuff to sell.
I sold one lens here at nikon cafe.
I sold a large batch of stuff to b&h. Price is low, but fair. Process is easy and painless.
You will not get as much, but b&h really makes it easy
You can try Fred Miranda's site.
The other sites will get you more money, b&h was by far the easiest
gary

MPB is easy and fair. You tell them what you got and its condition and they give an offer. They pay shipping and deposit the money directly into your checking account.
If you want to try more look at FM forums. They probably sell more than any other online site. However, the competiton is fierce and you have all the hassles we both seem to dislike.

Last edited:
The last lens I bought was from a seller in Seattle, all done via email. Process was painless. It was listed for sale on Fred Miranda. I’d try CL first, it’s free and you can meet f2f.

Real Name
Andy
As others have mentioned, there are various used equipment retailers that will make it painless to liquidate your used gear. But they all intend to mark it up by at least 50% above what they pay you, which means they are counting on you to let it go for well below market value. Selling privately will earn you more than letting it go wholesale to a used retailer. For a lens like the 600 or the 200-400, the difference will be a lot of money.

I buy and sell quite a bit on FM and eBay (and occasionally on dedicated forums such as mu-43 and even a couple items here on Nikon Cafe). It is much safer (and generally easier) to deal with people that have 100% positive feedback and a sizable number of transactions both as buyer and seller. Online reputations are pretty important to people, so it is pretty decent assurance that someone who has received nothing but positive feedback write-ups will trade fairly with you.

Having said that, if you don't have an established track record yourself, it could be a red flag to potential buyers. So, lenses like the two you've mentioned probably should not be your first listed items. I would recommend selling a few lower valued items first to establish a history. Whatever you decide, I recommend following other listings on FM and eBay for your big-ticket lenses to get a feel for how much they are fetching on the used market.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
i’ve asked a friend in Woodinville if she needs an UW housing for one of her D3S cameras. she might have one, but if not i’ll try and hook you up with her.

Real Name
Ken
Curious what the used market might be for some of my Nikon gear. I no longer shoot sports and have no immediate desire to but still enjoy shooting. I realize that might depend on the demand for what I have to sell. How are people coming up with a fair sale price?

I don’t want to use eBay and like to sell local since it is nice to meet the buyer and the buyer also has a recourse but Craigslist is not much better. I haven’t really tried Facebook and photography forums haven’t done that well for me. Not that I am active, I don’t like the hassle so tend to just keep gear even if I don’t use it.

I currently shoot with a D5 and D850 and virtually all the pro zooms. When shooting sports my typical setup included a 600 F4 on one body and a 200-400 f4 on the other. Occasionally I would carry a 3rd body with a 70-200 or 14-24.

I am thinking about picking up a new Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Lens since it seemed most of my published images came from the 200-400. While the 200-400 worked perfectly for tight in camera framed images and I had the 600 for down field action. While I love the 200-400, it did seem to fall short when the subject was farther away and significant cropping was required. The 200-400 is still the lens I grab when I want a do all lens, still reviews seem even better for the newer version.

I have also kept a D3S since I have an underwater housing for it but now that I have a new UW housing for my D850 I’d like sell it. I also have an AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II I used when shooting poorly lite fields but now that I don’t shoot any High School, or even Seattle Sounders when they play at Starfire, I rarely if ever use it anymore.

Wish I didn’t despise the selling process so much but it would be nice for someone to get use out of what is still some excellent gear.
You will not get as much as selling it yourself, but Glazers and Kenmore do buy used as well as take trade-ins. I know that Glazers used to give you a "tax credit" for the trade-in value's tax amount of your used gear if you bought something new at the time of the trade.

Good luck,

--Ken

In the past, I've sold on this forum and others. It went well but both the buyer and seller have to trust eachother. Usually the buyer sends funds then the seller will ship the item(s). There is a lot of trust on the buyers side of the equation, especially if the seller wants to use the PayPal "gift" option. Using that option provides no protection for the buyer in the event that the item is not as advertised or it's a scam. I personally won't deal with a seller that demands I use the "gift" option.

Yes, you'll get more selling privately than selling to any of the retailers. Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc will give you 70% of what the item is selling at on the used market. If you are looking for a quick easy way to sell that is the way to go. You send them your stuff at their cost. They will give you a quote that you can accept or decline. If you decline, they will send your stuff back to you at their cost. If you accept, they'll send you the money. The process usually takes 7-14 days.

It looks like the OP listed some stuff for sale on FM. If you’re looking for a 600mm f/4 or a 200-400 at what looks like a very good price you should snap these up. I don’t think they’ll be around long.

Real Name
Ken
In the past, I've sold on this forum and others. It went well but both the buyer and seller have to trust eachother. Usually the buyer sends funds then the seller will ship the item(s). There is a lot of trust on the buyers side of the equation, especially if the seller wants to use the PayPal "gift" option. Using that option provides no protection for the buyer in the event that the item is not as advertised or it's a scam. I personally won't deal with a seller that demands I use the "gift" option.

Yes, you'll get more selling privately than selling to any of the retailers. Adorama, B&H, KEH, etc will give you 70% of what the item is selling at on the used market. If you are looking for a quick easy way to sell that is the way to go. You send them your stuff at their cost. They will give you a quote that you can accept or decline. If you decline, they will send your stuff back to you at their cost. If you accept, they'll send you the money. The process usually takes 7-14 days.
Just a quick reminder that some inactive accounts on Amin's sites were getting hacked and the hackers were "listing" equipment for sale with the PayPal gift option. So, you are correct that there is a bit of trust between buyers and sellers, but we should also verify that the seller is indeed the seller if something seems to good to be true and PayPal gift option is requested.

--Ken

Thanks everyone and that was not me listing equipment on FM, I haven't done anything. I did respond to someone on FM that had a 200-400 WTB but they paid a bit more for a VR II. I'm in no hurry and what I have still works great.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom