What's the market like for selling used Telephoto glass?

Curious what the used market might be for some of my Nikon gear. I no longer shoot sports and have no immediate desire to but still enjoy shooting. I realize that might depend on the demand for what I have to sell. How are people coming up with a fair sale price?

I don’t want to use eBay and like to sell local since it is nice to meet the buyer and the buyer also has a recourse but Craigslist is not much better. I haven’t really tried Facebook and photography forums haven’t done that well for me. Not that I am active, I don’t like the hassle so tend to just keep gear even if I don’t use it.

I currently shoot with a D5 and D850 and virtually all the pro zooms. When shooting sports my typical setup included a 600 F4 on one body and a 200-400 f4 on the other. Occasionally I would carry a 3rd body with a 70-200 or 14-24.

I am thinking about picking up a new Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Lens since it seemed most of my published images came from the 200-400. While the 200-400 worked perfectly for tight in camera framed images and I had the 600 for down field action. While I love the 200-400, it did seem to fall short when the subject was farther away and significant cropping was required. The 200-400 is still the lens I grab when I want a do all lens, still reviews seem even better for the newer version.

I have also kept a D3S since I have an underwater housing for it but now that I have a new UW housing for my D850 I’d like sell it. I also have an AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II I used when shooting poorly lite fields but now that I don’t shoot any High School, or even Seattle Sounders when they play at Starfire, I rarely if ever use it anymore.

Wish I didn’t despise the selling process so much but it would be nice for someone to get use out of what is still some excellent gear.

I rarely sell equipment, but I moved from nikon to sony and had a bunch of stuff to sell.
I sold one lens here at nikon cafe.
I sold a large batch of stuff to b&h. Price is low, but fair. Process is easy and painless.
You will not get as much, but b&h really makes it easy
You can try Fred Miranda's site.
The other sites will get you more money, b&h was by far the easiest
gary

MPB is easy and fair. You tell them what you got and its condition and they give an offer. They pay shipping and deposit the money directly into your checking account.
If you want to try more look at FM forums. They probably sell more than any other online site. However, the competiton is fierce and you have all the hassles we both seem to dislike.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom