What's the meaning behind your Avatar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, May 3, 2005.

1. So what is the meaning behind your Avatar? For those noobs who don't have one yet, get one! I'll be nicer to you knowing you're an actual person and not some forum voyeur!

Anyways, my Avatar represents me before a night out on the job. It's usually chilly in LA during the evenings and I always dress in layers. I always sport the beanie as well, because it makes me look more thuggish and I like to scare people who I don't want to associate with. For me it is almost a ritual getting my camera ready for night prowls...having to make sure my batteries are charged, my flash is in place, and gaffer taping any loose ends before I go out and shoot. I always lock my settings and shoot manual during the evenings. This is a moment that represents my life and my work. This is who I am.

Okay, now it's your turn! :)

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My avatar is me with my head spinning. Because, well... my head is usually spinning! :)

Whoops, I changed avatars. Here's the one I'm talking about above: [​IMG]

The new avatar doesn't mean anything, but shows me, holding a camera. I'll probably switch back soon, as I miss the old one already. Reminds me of the David Crosby song, Almost Cut My Hair. :p

3. My avatar shows I'm a burly guy that carries a big stick. I hoped it would make little wiseacres like you think twice
    before telling me I don't know what I'm talking about... but it hasn't worked so far :?.

4. My avatar represents my genes and sense of humor I guess (plus the background clutter). :D It's a pic of my son decked out for Halloween ~1.5 years ago. Not sure if you can make out his facial expression, but I find it priceless. :D Here's a larger version from my pbase account:

medium.

I suspect I'll probably change my avatar from time to time as the mood strikes me. But so far, this image has suited me just fine. On DPR forums, I do use a different pic (of myself) in my sig -- and probably some will recognize it. I suppose I might switch to that one at some point if I feel like it. :D It certainly would show a different side of me, no? :wink:

View attachment 8138

However, since I don't plan on keeping the long hair for much longer, I guess I'll probably need a new one soon enough. :D

Nice idea, btw, Jonathan. I certainly prefer the forum to be more personable w/ less hiding behind anonymity.

Kind regards,

_Man_

5. I've taken thousands of pictures, like most of you, but never get around to being in front of the lens. I was shooting our organization's picnic and a friend had a P&S. He called to me and I stopped just long enough for the shot. Actually I think it's "flattering" but more importantly it's how I want to be seen, enjoying my favorite hobby. Like all the nice ones, it wasn't posed and was taken off the cuff. I like it.

Rich

6. Rich,

You look like a big kid with his favorite toy! :)

7. USED to be my favorite toy......the D2X comes tomorrow...woo hoo! You know what they say.

"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!"

Rich :D

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Like Rich and I'm sure most of us here, I'm on the
    other side of the lens most of the time. This is just
    one of the few pictures of me I had on the
    computer when I changed my Avatar. Nothing
    more then a work photo.

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Only one I had

I wanted something that showed how sensitive I was, a caring, gentle soul, with a bright sunny outlook, never complaining.....

....actually it was just the only shot I had of me holding my D70. It was taken by a friend at Death Valley using my backup camera (Canon Powershot S-30)

10. Same here, I don't have many pictures of myself. In fact I don't like being photographed to be honest. Weird? :p

11. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Here' s the score on my hard drive - several thousand pictures of other people, 2 of me. So I picked the one that fit better. Taken by a friend on the day I was showing him how to use his new D70.

Tom

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. OK, my turn, and a weighty story this is. First of all, my Avatar is NOT a picture of me, no matter what you may think I am not that svelte. It has been said that if I were to put an image of myself up as my Avatar that several things would happen.

1. I would be labeled with the dreaded "T" word and banished under the bridge.
    2. This site would be banned for life due to scary content
    3. I would suddenly be overwhelmed with women chasing me down, which would annoy my wife
    4. I would suddenly be underwhelmed by women running away from me, which would annoy me
    5. Oh, yeah, all the birds would then know what I looked like and fly away so I couldn't take any more pictures, yeah, that's the ticket :wink:

Ok, truth is you can pick any combination of the above, laugh at my expense, see if I care, I sure do :lol: :lol: :lol: . My Avatar is an image that I really like, and I expect that as I become less lazy this will change as I find other images I really like as well. Plus, I see me every day in the mirror, danged if I need to look at "me" here as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    THis was a shot taken by Frank (Flew) during one of our early morning outings. Everyone liked it so much I asked if I could use it and have done so since. Welcome to the Cafe! Your work is very good by the way.

15. How about getting some of the new guys to get their Avatars together? Also if you don't like your avatar, I have the perfect solution! Go to "make your own South Park character" here:

http://www.planearium2.de/flash/spstudio.html

Here's me!

[​IMG]

Better yet, draw your own avatar!

[​IMG]

16. Finding myself on a great site and not having an avatar annoyed me so I started with a picture of my hot rod. That did not have any relationship to the nature of this board so one sunny day while i had both cameras set up on tripods for a bird shoot, i simply aimed one at me, hooked up the MC30 and put on a shorter lens and commenced shooting at myself. I had a lot of laughs trying to get one I thought would suit on here. I need to get a life.........

17. self portrait

Mine is a self portrait taken for a magazine article written on my fitness photography .....

that's it... no deep meaning...

like everyone else... I'm always behind the camera...

18. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Finally found a picture taken by a friend during a wedding banquet.

I think I am allergic standing in front of the camera.

19. Mine is the very first picture I took with my new S3Pro when I picked it up at Bernie's house. His front hall - we were shooting ANYTHING because I was so excited to finally get my fingers on it!! LOL

20. Okay after reading all these posts I really need to think of a good reason why I use what I do.....

*** THINKING***
    *** Can you smell something burning***

Well I cannot think of any good reason. Other then it was an image that sort of tells folks the type of person I am and the type of shooting I do.
    With most here coming from cities or highly populated areas. I'm sort of the odd-ball who spend most of his time in the bush >>> (30,000 people in 1.5 million sq. miles). Now that is what I call heaven.