What's the word with Nikon

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by 1FASTZ, Jul 15, 2007.

1. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Seems like all of the pro lens are backordered everywhere you look. Just curious what's going on? For example, a friend of mine is looking to buy a new 28-70, but everywhere he looks, it's back ordered. Do you think, they are discontinuing it or possibly bringing out a VR version of it??? Just wondering if anyone has the scoop?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Nikon lenses have experienced a sudden popularity. But everybody wants the lowest price. Therefore the major equipment discounters have run low on inventory. Try buying from a local retailer - you'll pay a little bit more than you would get from an online place, but you will also get personal service.

Or, like Base suggests, try our own used equipment forum.

3. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Nikon Lenses

I was at B&H on Friday while vacationing. I chatted with one of the guys at the Nikon counter and asked him what is coming down from Nikon for lenses.
    He said nothing but cr#p. The cheap stuff is what sells is what he said. He indicated that the 28 -70 will probably be discontined.
    What does he know more than you and I? Maybe nothing but thought I would pass it on for the little that it is worth :smile:
    Tom

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The 70-300VR and 55-200VR are pretty decent lenses actually, not as good as the pro stuff but Nikon clearly don't see a desperate need to update those yet (some people might disagree though!)

I think a new body is due before any new lenses, although if they bring out a FF DSLR (which is the dominant rumour) I can't see the 28-70 being discontinued, unless of course its being replaced by a 24-xxmm f/2.8 zoom.

5. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I haven't had any trouble finding Nikon glass here in Canada. 17-55, 28-70, 70-200 etc are all in stock at the local stores in Toronto. Of course, they are considerably more expensive here than in the US, and no rebates either.

6. That would certainly make sense. I'm hoping there is a 24-70 f/2.8 VR (which makes sense from both a DX (35-105) and FF point of view.

7. I'm thinking of a 28-70 2.8 myself, but a vr version would be ideal.

8. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    28- 70

I would love to see a 24 -70 vr. I really seem to need the vr.
    The 18 -200 is a nice lens but does not have the quality of the 28-70 nor would I expect it to.
    Does any of the the 3rd party lens vendors have a vr version?
    Tom

9. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    No third party 28-70s have VR, or are there any announced. I don't think Nikon thinks it offers enough of an advantage in shorter glass to justify the price increase or a reformulation of the lens, we'll see in the next round of lens updates.