What's this optional focussing screen on the D2X for?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The D2X comes with an optional focussing screen, but I have no clue as to what it does. Anybody?

2. Steve, I believe the optional focusing screen is pretty much the same as the installed one without the crop marks for HSC mode (but I could just be misreading the information on page 244 of the manual).

I suppose that some people may not want the extra lines in the viewfinder, but I'm a little surprised they bothered to include it (although for the price, why not?? :) ). I can think of a couple things I'd have rather seen in the box, though (MC-30 comes to mind, or perhaps an extended eyepiece).

3. I had the E-screen on my D2H

I had the E-screen on my D2H installed, it's great to get horizontal and vertical lines if you want to level the camera and line it up with the horizon etc. with the one in the D2x I don't have to change because of the HSC screen does the same thing for me. I guess they just added the other screen for people who didn't want the HSC screen, seems a bit unnessary to me...