What's up with the Fuji S2?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ultimind, Jul 15, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've seen these pop up super cheap lately, and from what I remember, the images it produces are very nice.

How well would a Fuji S2 Pro compliment my D70? If you look at my other threads I'm also looking at D1H's, D2H's, D80's, D200's...

My main concerns are high ISO and battery life. Also, better AF than my D70 would be helpful too. (AF speed)

2. my experience with the S2 was Great images, slow operation and slow writing time.....batteries were not very long lived, and it was not pro-level built; I want another one.....

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Slow isn't a word I like to hear... but great images is. :biggrin:

4. well, it's slow compared to a D1H, but I couldn't see any difference compared to the D70s, but then I don't do sports - macro and portraits , it was fantastic....I guess my photography has slowed down like everything else I do, but man, it makes great pix

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm still after something that can do truly good high ISO. I was always told that the D1H does wonderful ISO1600 but that was because of the gigantic pixels on the sensor. I originally thought that 2.74mp was going to be enough, but now that I think about it more, I do end up cropping some stuff. So 4mp (D2H) or higher is crutial now. Plus the low battery life of the D1H was a turnoff. But at the same time, the crazy fast AF screw motor is tempting (I only own one AF-S lens).

Gahh! It's all so confusing!

6. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    I just bought one off of ebay...I will let you know when I receive it and had a chance to use it.

As for D1H, I was debating the same a few months back (between D50 and D1H)...ended up buying a D1H sand never regretted. I rceived a free D2H..but that is another story..

There is not much real life resolution difference between D2H and a D1H...D200, OTOH has awesome resolution...

7. I too love the D1H, no problems with it's images, and love the handling; also loved the D2H for images and battery; the Fuji was fine for my style and had a magnificent image and great dynamic range....makes one wonder if maybe the new&improved models of all the makers are really necessary.....

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    ditto: How was the ISO1600 from the D1H compared to the D2H? I'd much rather spend $375 on a D1H and have some money left over to buy some decent glass than spend $950 on a D2H and have negative dollars left over to spend on glass. :biggrin:

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    The high ISO of the D1H stomps the D2H

10. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Here is a quick comparison I just did.

The D2H is actually rezed down to the D1H resolution, so it should be even better! Both of these are 100% crops dead center - 35 f2 @ f/8 MF
    Both were even grey balanced off the exact same point in photoshop to make sure it was fair.

[​IMG]

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you Zach! That's enough there to sell me on a D1H. :biggrin:

12. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    D2H high iso is bad..unless you get spot on exposure...D1H high iso is superb!!!

13. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    What of the poor battery life issues of the D1H? What sort of performance should I be expecting compared to a D70 or other more modern body?

14. I like my D1H better than my D2H for EVERYTHING, the look is just great, ISO great, the only drawback is I have to carry a handfull of batteries, but so what? I have to carry a big bag anyway, and the truck will haul lotz of batteries.....it is just a fu=ine camera with a big appetite, what the heck, get an extra battery....

15. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Extra batteries are not a problem... I generally carry everything in a Slingshot 100, but I can always get the 200 or 300 to fit 2 bodies in.

16. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
  17. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks smodak! That'll give me some reading materials once I begin my Fedex waiting cycle.

18. that's true, Smo', it really helps.....takes a couple of days, but it's worth it

19. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    My Delkin battery for my 1H lasts for a VERY long time, and I use that camera every day. I think I've had to recharge that battery twice in the last 2 weeks, and my camera doesn't even turn off!

I find the battery life very good myself. With these cameras, its not like you are chimping since the screen is so small, so I don't know why everyone is killing these batteries.

20. pelowell66

pelowell66 Guest

The S2 is an awsome camera for weddings and portraits you would end up useing it more than the D70/s As for battery life I have seen the camera shoot a wedding with one battery change, I don't think that is bad at all.HTH