1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What's up with the super long lenses being used in close quarters

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by atlanta_man, Oct 12, 2018.

1. I've been paying attention to TV news where lots of pro photographers are gathered.
    The other day, in the oval office, several photographers were using big long white lenses to shoot at what looks to be all of 6ft to the subject.
    One would occasionally let the big rig hang from his neck and then snap a few with his cell phone.

2. Probably photographing pigeons thru the windows and ignoring the occupant of that office. I’ve found that to be a good survival technique in these weird times.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. That's how they fake the news? :eek: :D :p 

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Never mind that, what about the horrible shutter snaps, as each photog fires off 10 fps, constantly.

If I were the president, I'd stop that immediately. You each get 2 snaps. That's it. Then I want it quiet! Enough with the constant shutter fires throughout the entire thing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lately I notice that no flash is the custom.

6. I believe the current President's love for himself would get you fired if you worked for the Whitehouse and made that suggestion. :) 

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mirrorless to the rescue! :cautious: 

8. Finally ! a good reason for mirrorless.

9. All kidding and/or politics aside, I've noticed that too and have wondered why the photographers aren't using more appropriate lens for the occasion. Of course, they could be using APS-C cameras (not likely) or the minimum focal lengths of the lens might be less than I think they are. Regardless, when they bring the photographers in for photo opportunities, I doubt they are too concerned about the chatter from all the shutters going off.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  10. It certainly does seem to be overkill when it takes 14 photogs to document an oval office meeting.
    Actually, the TV only showed 14, could have been more around back of the TV cams.

11. With 40 - 60 news organizations having staff at the Whitehouse daily, I am somewhat surprised that only 14 were there.

12. Well, if this was the slow/no news day when Kanye, or Ye showed up . . . .

13. I know I don’t want TV if this is what they’re showing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. You know there is no way to know if there is going to be a news worthy story or not when the press is invited into the Oval Office. The job is to shoot everything and some producer decides whether to broadcast the story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    +1 From what I've seen when they show the whole room, there are usually far more than 20 stills photogs shooting, plus TV cameras. The Oval Office is 35ft 10in long by 29ft wide, so a 70-200 or even a 300mm is likely a good option when one has to shoot from behind a TV camera or across the room. Amateurs crop where pros fill the frame completely, so where possible, the longer the lens, the better.

They usually need only a waist-up shot of an individual person and maybe the ability to include 2-3 people near the president for most shots. A 70-200 on a FF body would IMHO be ideal for shooting an intimate or 'portrait' type shot from 20 ft away to under 6ft. Using 70mm on a FF body one could get really close to the subject/desk if only desiring to shoot a single individual chest-up.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.