What's up with this lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bandnuts, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I went to the monthly camera expo in the LA area today and saw a 24x85 2.8D lens that sure caught my eye. The price was great and it looked to be in very good condition. Visual inspection showed nothing special in the line of dust and I could not see any signs of fungus.

As aways, I bring my camera and hook up the lens to make sure the focus worked, etc...... Well, the photos from that lens were awful. I know the lens is a performer, but this specific one had issues. I just wonder if anyone might know what it could be. Here's what I saw...

1) No real amounts of dust.
    2) No visual signs of fungus (but I did not bring a light)
    3) Focus and zoom both worked smooth and seemed to be just fine
    4) Photos were blurred and were not in focus in any area (so it was not a fine tune adjustment).

Here's a sample shot (100% crop) taken (ISO 1100 for the 24x85 and 800 for the 17x55, so it was low light). The difference in ISO would not make up for the lack of focus here....

Any thoughts? The help you provide may help some of us from making a lens purchase error in the future.

[​IMG]

2. I can think of two possibilities:
    1- AF needing adjustment.
    2- Decentered element.
    Did you focus manually and had the same results?
    Hopefully you have not bought the lens but if you did, it is very possible it will need a complete overhaul and you are looking at something in the neighborhood of $175 for the repairs.
    At times a fall, even on a soft surface without leaving visible damage, can do something like that. It happened to me once and the lens had to be sent for repairs.
    You could get all sorts of answers here but till the lens is inspected by a technician you will not have the right answer.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.