What's with This... (photo question)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Oct 12, 2005.

1. This is a dumb question but one that has me scratching my head.
    I decided to spend a couple minutes tonight taking an image. So I got it home, uploaded it, processed it and saved it both as a jpg and a PS file.
    Uploaded the jpg to PBase and also sent a copy to a friend who wanted to see it.
    Upon mailing it to him I clicked on my (sent mail) to make sure the copy I sent was not too big and I noted that the image looked really dark.
    So I went back to the PS file and changed the profile from adobe 19?? to Srgb. As soon as I did that it made the file very dark so I killed that idea.
    I then visited my PBase site to see what that copy looked like and it was also dark.
    Here is a (screen shot) of my pbase site on the left and the (jpg) file on the right side of the screen. As you can see there is a BIG difference.
    No wonder people are always telling me that my images a dark and moody....lol
    Got any ideas???

Link Here:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/50654084

2. I use Smumug and although I abide to their rules concerning the colour space (sRGB) from the camera through PS, I do find that there is a big difference in density and tonalities in certain images too. Now, this is not an answer, only a sign of compassion : you are not alone.

3. Okay:
    So I went back to the PS file and played with the profile of it. I converted it to SRGB and it darkened it quit a bit. Then I added a levels layer to bring the level up and then added a color balance layer to reduce the reds a little.
    As I did this I kept my original file up on my monitor so I could get it as close to the original as possible.
    After I got it close I converted to JPG using the "for web" function and uploaded it to pbase.
    This is (much closer) to what the image should look like but it still is not as good as either the PS or JPG files...

I'm lost!

4. Hi Chritian:
    I'm glad to here I'm not alone in this. But I'm thinking this is not just a website issue as I found my mail images (that I send) are also very dark.
    Darned if I know!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug,
    I use convert to profile, not as web. They say there is a big difference ??

Did you try that.

Doesn't really matter to me on YOUR images I love them all. :>))
    This is not exception.

I have no clue what my images look like cause no one tells me, even though I ask. :<(((((

I can't get better without critique.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I never use any function "to web" as I found it changes things. Why I don't know, I just don't do that anymore and things are fine.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Gale, he did use a "Convert To" (sRGB) profile., but then he did a "Save For Web" to save it afterwords. See, two separate operations. fyi, Doug, the "Save As" function retains all the exif data, and the "Save For Web" fuction destroys it.
    And Doug, I can't help you out here, but will add that's it is very dark & moody :wink: :eek: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  8. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Doug I have had similar problems in the past. There are a ton of different reasons this could be happening. The color profile is one of them. Like many have said, make sure to "Convert To" sRGB and adjust for web. The other big issue I've found it with monitors. From what I understand Photoshop will actually try to counter any problems with your monitors color balance. I don't know how to explain it, but let me put it this way. When I was running the default color mode on my Mac display Photoshop would show a great image, but when opened in a Firefox (the browser I use), the colors were washed out. When I changed my profile to one I calibrated, or even to the sRGB profile, the Photoshop images looked much closer to the web images. It still varies slightly, and I hate to say it but I've just put up with it because I've been too lazy to nail everything down. Anyways, monitor color profile helped me a lot. Even if you can't calibrate, you might want to try self calibrating or adjusting the profile.

Edit: Doug it looks from your screen shots that you are using a Mac. For sure you need to try changing the monitor to sRGB. It worked for me. Also, if you're using Safari, remember that Safari will read the embedding color profile, while all other browsers won't. In other words, try using Firefox or Internet Explorer with your pictures to double check that others without Safari will be able to see the photos how you intend.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  9. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    When I process my NEF's or Jpegs straight from the camera (shot in AdobeRGB), I always end post-processing with converting the jpeg to SRGB (which doesn't change anything, darkness or lightness), and save it straight as a maximum file size jpeg.

I've had no issues whatsoever as far as images coming out darker than they are.. nor have I tried the save for web function.

Shoddy photoshop work will show up (using my method) on uncalibrated monitors though.. but that doesn't worry me too much.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If a file looks darker in the web browser or email message than it does in Photoshop, one reason could be that the ICC profile you're using for your monitor (and which non-ICC-aware apps won't use) is compensating for a monitor that was too dark during calibration. Try calibrating again and get the brightness set correctly on the monitor's controls before creating the ICC profile. You want to get the monitor as accurate as possible before creating the profile.

BTW convering an image from Adobe RGB to sRGB shouldn't change its brightness. In fact it shouldn't have any visible effect at all unless there were colors in the Adobe RGB image that are outside the gamut of sRGB.

11. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    My sister who is into computer graphics ran into the same problem like that a while ago..where graphics she would design in basic sRGB would show up on internet explorer or mozilla firefox. I tweaked her monitor a bit using adobe gamma and the problem has since dissapeared. I would try doing the same thing.. its not the best monitor calibration software in the world but its serviceable.