What's wrong with the 24-70?

There is nothing wrong with the 24-70. There can be lots of reasons why people are selling the lens. Some of those could be the zoom range does not fit type of photography they do, they are switching to a different system or they just need money. I would not read any more than that into it.

Bob W

There is nothing wrong with the 24-70. There can be lots of reasons why people are selling the lens. Some of those could be the zoom range does not fit type of photography they do, they are switching to a different system or they just need money. I would not read any more than that into it.

Bob W
The recent "bundle" rebates on select Nikon bodies and lenses is involved too. Folks picking up a new D700 or D7000 (among others) could get a body/lens combo three to five hundred dollars cheaper than the individual items. The 24-70 was one of the lenses with a rebate. Some purchasers bought the bundle never intending to use the lenses. They put them up for sale as NIB at near street retail and, thus, got a nice new body at a lower price.

The recent events in Japan and the ongoing impact to lens prices and availability has worked to their advantage.

I'd be willing to bet it's a combination of three factors - experimenting with the superlative primes, good deals prompting many to "go ahead" and pick up the 24-70 when buying a body, and the fact that it's probably the most popular of the 2.8 zooms leading it to be more common on the used market.

The only two zooms I have right now are the 14-24 and 70-200vrii. I sold my mid zoom about a year ago as I'd rather go to the effort to shoot faster primes...

Hey folks - I asked that rhetorical question in jest because I know it is an exceptionally fine lens with few (or no?) flaws. I was just surprised to see so many on sale at the same time.

And you all have offered some good reasons why individuals might want to sell.

I also wanted to alert folks who might be lusting for this one that there are several available. :wink:

I think (know, duh) the 70-200 VRI&II are the best 2.8 zooms on the planet. the 24-70 is still amazing but after trying the 28-70 and tamron 28-75 you begin to realize there really isnt must seperation in the mid range zoom category.

Hey folks - I asked that rhetorical question in jest because I know it is an exceptionally fine lens with few (or no?) flaws. I was just surprised to see so many on sale at the same time.

And you all have offered some good reasons why individuals might want to sell.

I also wanted to alert folks who might be lusting for this one that there are several available. :wink:
Supporting lens lusters, that should be a crime ;-)

..... I have not used my 24-70 after buying the 24-120 , but that does not change the fact that the 24-70 is one great lens.
Same here. I'm not selling my 24-70, because there are times I need the wider aperture, but the 24-120 seems to handle more situations and stays on the camera longer.

nothing's wrong with it in my eyes. I used the 24-120 f/4 today at a birthday party and it was great but when i got home, I used the 24-70 in my home studio and garden shooting my son, it's still amazes me and I assured myself today I'll hold onto it for as long as I can. The autofocus and sharpness wide-open are just stellar.... My keeper rate with the 24-70 is the highest compared to my others.

I think the bundle with new bodies come into play. I also think that this lens is not exceptional in the sense that it lacks features such as VR which you want for that expensive lens.

There are also those like myself who decided that the 24-120 f4 was more to their requirements and are disposing of the heavier 24-70.
+1 this is the reason for my recent sale :wink:

I prefer primes for subject isolation, and the rest can be handled by an f/4 zoom.

Personally its focal length doesn't suite me at all. I much prefer the 17-35 and then a simple 50. 24mm just isn't wide enough for me sometimes and I really like to be in the middle of things.

This lens did have the very famous issue where the zoom ring would seize or become really stiff to turn. This is far more unacceptable for a tool than not having VR or other "gadgets".

My 24-70 was my first newer "pro" Nikon lens, but the more I study and try out older Nikon glass, the more I realize that Nikon has been building quality stuff for a while. I may sell it some day, but prob not for a while. I would love to sell both my 24-70/70-200 and go 24 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Nikon 180 2.8. But......

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom