1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What's Your (f) Stop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NaptownSailor, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Just for fun, don't check all your exif files. What is your usual f/stop? Yes it varies with the subject matter and shooting goals. But if you had to use a camera with a fixed aperture, or if you had to guess what f/stop is set on your camera when you grab it out of the bag.

Mine is f/2.8. If I can keep the BG out of focus I can make almost anything look a bit interesting. While I love f/1.4, sometimes it's too narrow.

2. I tend to favor f4--f5.6 (wide open on my zooms) to about f11. I typically shoot landscapes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't have a 'usual one'

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 480sparky

480sparky

May 27, 2013
    Cornpatch
    It's a metric I really don't care to track. I choose the aperture best suited for the lens / shutter speed / ISO / subject.

5. I also don't have a usual one. After coming to that thinking, I checked my catalog and confirmed that that's the case.

6. It varies: either as wide as the lens will go or f8-f10

7. Here is what my shooting last year looked like:
    Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 13.13.28.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  8. gwh1bass

gwh1bass

Sep 14, 2008
    Lansing MI
    Variable, depends on the lens chosen, but 80% are wide open for sports and low light situations.

85 at 1.8
    70-200 at 2.8
    300 at 4

My iPhone, whatever it chooses.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    70-200 at f2.8
    200vr at f2
    500vr at f4 or f5.6 with tc
    14-24 f2.8 or f5.6-f8/11
    24-70 f2.8. Or f8

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.