What's your favorite front lens cap holder?

I've been using the type of front lens cap holder that is a small piece stuck to the cap. That small piece is attached to an elastic string that is mounted around the lens barrel. That's impractical for use on my Nikon 70-300mm AF-P lens because of the length of the lens hood. So, I'm in the market for something that can be mounted onto a belt . The lens cap is then easily attached and removed. What's your favorite model?

I've been using the type of front lens cap holder that is a small piece stuck to the cap. That small piece is attached to an elastic string that is mounted around the lens barrel. That's impractical for use on my Nikon 70-300mm AF-P lens because of the length of the lens hood. So, I'm in the market for something that can be mounted onto a belt . The lens cap is then easily attached and removed. What's your favorite model?

my pants pocket.

Larry

My question pretty clearly indicates that I want advice about a model that can be mounted onto a belt. Though the idea of instead using a pants pocket or camera bag is funny, it's not my idea of enjoyable photography.
We need some humour in these dark times. When I'm in the field, once the cap is off it usually stays off for an hour or much longer so I don't have to go fishing for it often. À chacun son goût.

Larry

We need some humour in these dark times.

Speaking of dark times, I met a photographer specializing in nighttime landscapes that came up with a great idea: He painted his lens caps with phosphorescent paint or put pieces of similarly brightly colored tape on them so they would be easy to find in the dark, whether searching for them in the camera bag or on the ground.

My pocket or the camera bag.
I tied the attached cap holders. The problem was, when in use, that hanging cap kept getting in my way. I pulled off the elastic band and shoved the cap in my pocket, and stop using the cap keepers.

So cheap caps, that you can afford to lose and replace.

I'm constantly taking off and putting on my lens cap, so I don't like fumbling for it among other things in my pockets. I also don't like putting it in a pocket I might be using for my glasses or a polarizer filter for fear of scratching them. That explains why the little thing that holds the cap onto the barrel has always worked fine for me.

Now that I can't use that device with my new lens, I'm thinking about something like the following item as being readily accessible, out of the way and inexpensive:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1112562-REG/sensei_strapcap_keeper_sck_20_for.html

The only thing I don't know about is whether it is easy to quickly mount and unmount the lens cap, which is a must.

Like Nick, when I'm just going out-and-about in the neighborhood with the camera and one lens, I leave the lens cap at home. I usually carry only my house keys and a small pouch in which I have a fresh battery and a second SD card if needed. Usually I check the battery before setting out, but after one day neglecting to do that and being halfway around the lake when the battery decided to die on me, necessitating an immediate walk back home, I quickly learned my lesson and always carry a spare battery with me now. The pouch with the battery and card slips very neatly into one of my pants or shorts pockets, or in colder weather, a vest with pockets or a jacket pocket. When going out with more than one lens I usually have a camera bag with me and am wearing a pair of pants or shorts and (if needed) a jacket or sometimes my old Domke photography vest. If switching lenses in the field, both lens caps for the lens about to be used go right into the camera bag.

While out shooting, whether it's just walking around the lake or at a park or place I've gone for the afternoon, I take the lens cap off before beginning to walk around and then don't put it back on until I'm done shooting for the day or when swapping lenses if using more than one out somewhere.

One of the first things I did when buying my new gear was to order extra body caps and rear lens caps from B&H, providing peace of mind in case of loss of one of those vital items. If I ever lost a front lens cap, I would simply order a replacement in the appropriate size, but in the meantime the lens would still be somewhat protected as I always use the lens hood and I have clear filters on the lenses as well.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom