What's Your Level?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HickoryShampoo, Apr 13, 2007.

1. PRO - This is how I put food on the table.

5.6%
  2. SEMI-PRO - My livelihood isn't really photo-based, but I can turn a coin off it.

19.6%
  3. ADVANCED HOBBYIST - Unrelated to my real gig, but I'm more capable than the average schmo.

59.8%
  4. HOBBYIST - I'll snap some shots from time-to-time...if there's time.

10.3%
  5. ROOKIE - I know how to turn it on and make it go "click."

1.9%
  6. CAMERA CRETIN - I look through the lens instead of the eyepiece and quite possibly shoot Canon.

2.8%
  1. Another thread (D80 vs D200) inspired this poll. Thought it would be kinda neat to see how the membership is broken down.

2. How did you know I was broken down?::biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

3. There is no way the photography habit could support the wine habit so an extra career is definitely necessary! :biggrin:

4. We have a house full of whine!

5. Well, I chose advanced hobbyist. Although my capability is questionable, I do shoot a lot of stuff.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Well I selected Pro as that's what I' m trying to do. But it's a good thing the wife works too.

7. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave

I wanted a career in art at an early age - but since I never heard of a "starving engineer sale" that's what I became.

If you sell a photo does that make you a pro?

8. I do not think so. To be a pro at any endeavor I would think your primary livelyhood would come from that. I have sold a bunch of photos but by no means is it my means of support.

9. I just try to earn enough to buy my equipment and put a few bucks away for the big purchases later. Anything over that is gravy since I don't depend on this income.

10. This would be perfect, IMO. I have a couple of friends who make just enough scratch to cover new gear and assist with financing photo vacations. But M-F, 8-5 they sling pills (pharmacist, not dealer :biggrin: ) and coordinate an international fleet of airliners. "Perfect."

11. Because I was the jerk who drove by and splashed you with water. :wink: :biggrin:

12. Rotflmao

Ha ha ha! Good one! :biggrin: :biggrin:

13. Rookie for me

Rookie for me as I am not advance in any way shape or form, I could not replicate a shot if I tried. I essentially know how to turn it on and press the shutter (At the right time).

I seem to have a knack for operating any type of machinery, be it powered by a gas or kerosene engine or a battery and an OS system.

Click clickedy click! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  14. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Dave,

Most things I have read say you are not considered a pro until a certain % of your income comes from your photography (or other side business). I think the last thing I read was 10%, but I hope that is not true, if so last year I came REAL close to crossing that amount! Unless you are selling a lot of photos, you would be an advanced hobbyist, semi-pro max.

I am more like Matt (HickoryShampoo) for now, I try to make a little on the side to cover new equipment.

15. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I'm a TV Photojournalist full time. I do portraits for extra money which mostly covers my gear and a little money left over. I guess I'm a pro. I take pictures for a living even though my main income is video.

16. The operative term being "try." :biggrin:

17. The prospect of being a pro photographer is daunting to say the least.

At least I make my living doing photography related things (I write photography related software).

But long term? I put no limits on how far I want to go. I was a hobbyist programmer once.

18. If I could only be as fortunate as Gordon ....
    So I'll leave myself in the under-achiever (Rockie) section... But (most days) I do remember to turn the darn thing on!

19. If Dude and Doug are rookies, then I'm embryonal.

20. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    It kind of figures that most are advanced hobbyists on the café as the "what do you do for a living" thread had such diverse responses as to our day-job/pay- the-bills gig. Having said that though the quality of work that many of you do would certainly fall in the "pro" category (ego stroke). On many occasions I have admired the beautiful display of art that is shared here. I chose advanced hobbyist but clearly there are many levels above my skills although you don't sell to make a living. I hope to develop skills good enough to keep me busy in retirement some day! Keep up the good work everybody!