1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What's your recommendation for the best D200 book to buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Guess the title says it all!

2. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I have these. I really like them. They are in electronic format.

The Thom Hogan book gives you permission to have it professionally printed.
    http://bythom.com/d200guide.htm

The Peter iNova book comes on a disk with several photoshop actions.
    http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/D200News.html

The Ken Rockwell version is free and is OK. The other two go much deeper into the camera.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/users-guide/index.htm

The Magic Lantern guide offers a video DVD as well.
    http://www.larkbooks.com/catalog?limit=10&query=d200&x=0&y=0

And the Nikon "DigiTutor" Video only viewed on their site.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Digital-SLR/25235-Nikon-D200/Video/Digitutor/eng/D200/index.html

Hope those help.

3. If David Busch has a book for the D200, that's what I definitely would recommend.
    I have is book for the D60 and the D300 and BOTH books have been more help than the manual EVER will be.
    He's great at explaining how things work, what settings are what, and it's not a difficult read.
    I've looked at my D300 manual MAYBE twice. I've looked at my D300 book by David Busch COUNTLESS amounts of times.

4. I loved the Thom Hogan guide... so much that I bought one for the D3 when I got it. I have heard great things about the David Busch books as well.

5. Thanks folks. I'll keep all the suggestions in mind.

6. I have the Magic Lantern D200 guide by Simon Stafford (320) pages. Very well written and I like the book format.............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

7. Thanks for the recommendations, folks.

I purchased (actually they are a pre-Christmas present from my significan-other) Hogen's and Busch's books. I'll probably be on "overload" with all the info, but am sure they will be helpful.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

8. I agree 100% - I have Busch's D300 book as well and it's a pleasure to read. I mean, a reference guide that's a "pleasure" to read. Doesn't get much better!

9. Can't believe it! "Brown" just delivered my Busch Field Guide. Dang, that was fast!!!! I'm going on a 4 day trip and this will make good reading when I'm bored.

10. It'll make for an EXCELLENT read, and you'll learn a LOT.
    Have fun!:biggrin:

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I'd get the "Can't wait to get the D300 or D700 guide"

Unsure of the author tho.

:biggrin:

12. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!

I didn't realize Busch's book is for beginning photographers! I'll enjoy the "owners manual", (Part I) but I made my living as a travel and landscape photographer for 27 years, and Part II, for the most part, is a waste of my time.:frown:

Sure hope Hogan's isn't more of the same.

13. Er...sorry! I like the book. When I recommended it, I didn't know exactly what you were looking for.
    What ARE you looking for?
    It has a lot of "beginner" information in it, but it also walks you through settings, controls, and various other parts of the camera.

hahahahaha, maybe I like it so much because I am a beginner.

14. I wasn't putting down anyone's suggestion. I probably should have been more explicit about my background. It's just that I learned about depth-of-field and the like back in the mid 60's. I do think it's a good book, and back then would have poured over every single word. I'll read it all because no-one knows everything, that's for sure. But when I'm through reading it I'll probably give it to someone getting started. But I do hope Thom Hogan's book goes more in-depth about the intricacies of the camera itself.

15. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    One issue might be that Busch's book for the D300 is 432 pages and is simply a "guide." The D300 "Field Guide," published by Wiley, is by a different author and is 288 pages. For the D200, Busch wrote the Wiley "Field Guide," which is 288 pages. That is the book Chris bought - the "field guide."

So the field guides might have less information than the Busch D300 book that you have. That said, Chris might want more detailed information than Busch offers. Hopefully, he will be happy with Hogan's book. I considered Hogan's book but decided to start with Busch because it did not require me to be glued to a computer. Both have been highly recommended.

16. Hmmmmm! I must have the wrong book then. I purchased David Busch's Nikon D200 Digital Field Guide, published by Wiley. It has 262 pages, including the index.

17. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I was not clear. I checked Amazon and came up with the pages. My point was that for the D200, Busch wrote a "field guide" for a different publisher. The publisher is Wiley. There does not seem to be any other book by Busch for the D200 so Amazon must have gotten the pages wrong.

For the D300, Wiley published a similar field guide. That Wiley publication is by a different author.

Busch's book for the D300 (which I have) is called a "Guide" and is 432 pages. Some of the pages, though, deal with things such as external flash units and VR lenses. So it may or may not be more detailed than the D200 field guide about the camera body itself.

My point simply was that publishers and book size changed so it is difficult to know whether the information Busch conveys about the cameras (D200 in one and D300 in the other) in the two books is comparable.

Based on his website, and the size of his manual, I would expect Thom Hogan's manual to be more comprehensive and detailed. That sounds more like what you are looking for.

I hope Busch will give me a solid base-line from which I can learn more by "doing" and from reading advice on the web.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  18. Newbie here

If your looking for someone to pass the book on to, I'm not to proud to beg. I have a D200 and am fairly new to this adventure. Don't know the cost but would be will to pay shipping or whatever.

19. I'm going to read it first. It may hold some things I'd want to refer to. But if not, I'll keep your request in mind.:wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.