When a Mosquito lands on you do you........

A) Kill it immediately.
B) Take the picture and let it suck your blood.
C) Work quickly focus and shoot then kill it.

I try to go with C, although by looking at the picture even though I didn't give it time to penetrate it looks like it must of got me once already.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Martin

Nice shot. can you share some technical details? I wasn't able to track this one down at smugmug.

On the pole questions of which option...If autofocus doesn't work then I vote kill first, then take the picture.

My answer is A! Unfortunately I have a rather severe reaction when bit by mosquitos....So I suppose I'll leave the mosquito-picture-taking to you. Which is a good thing since you OBVIOUSLY know what you are doing. Cool Shot!

Thanks Gordon.

Greg:

It's in the fly gallery or have you ever tried the smugmug date command, www.martind.smugmug.com/date and then you can pick a date range. Select that last week and it should come up.

I think at 1:1 manual focus would be faster than auto focus, this is a crop but the Mosquito was big enough that with the legs it almost filled the frame.

1/500 f22, flash. pre white balance.

Martin

In the good old days before West Nile, I used to flex the muscle. It would tighten the skin and not allow the bugger to withdraw it's beak. It couldn't stop the blood flow, either, and would swell up until it burst.......messy but fun!
Now, I just kill them.
Ok, so I'm a sick puppy........

Fabulous shot! I wonder, however, was that taken with the naked 200mm or did you use extension rings to achieve that magnification? The same question applies to the ant shot in one of your first postings.

cheers

Harry S. said:
Fabulous shot! I wonder, however, was that taken with the naked 200mm or did you use extension rings to achieve that magnification? The same question applies to the ant shot in one of your first postings.

cheers
I cropped it down so the details can be seen in web viewing, it was a big Mosquito and with the legs it pretty well filled the frame.

Same with the ant shot, sometimes I use the 2x tc or my 6T to get down to 2:1 but I do lose some quality since I don't have the greates of 2x teleconverters so I end up with about the same quality if I crop.

The Bee Fly cleaning its probiscus now that one was 1:1 no cropping.

Thanks for the comments Harry.

Martin

Great macro, Martin!

Now a word to the wise, do NOT hit mosquitoes, esp in this new age of West Nile. You are now supposed to briskly brush them off sideways. Hitting them will release whatever they've got into your bloodstream, brushing them sideways won't. We all want to stay healthy while out there this summer shooting. Pass this on, please!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom