1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

When buying a used DSLR, how do you check actuation count?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by DJVCuda, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I am looking at a backup body, and really besides the filename count I dont see any way to check, and that can be reset. Looking at a D80 or D50 specifically.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Get Opanda IExif (free) installed on your computer. Take a jpeg image with the camera. Download to your computer, and look at the Exif data as reported by IExif.

3. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    thanks!

4. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    Specifically the "ShutterCount" item

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Does Opanda show the count for the D50 and such?

6. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Shows for any camera as far as I know. I used it with a D40X and a D200.

7. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Opanda or PhotoME... Either one. I prefer PhotoME, updated far more often (almost daily it seems), and much more verbose and feature rich. I don't even know why I have Opanda installed anymore. PhotoME is far and away better. Not sure why Opanda still gets so many recommendations anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  8. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It doesn't support the KM DSLRs, that was why I asked.

9. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    Opanda worked for me.

10. IrfanView works also. And it works on RAW (nef) files.

11. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Since you're looking for a backup body, you would want to have an image from body you are thinking of buying unless you have the body in your hands for inspection.

There's a level of trust you need to have with the seller when requesting the image or the shutter actuations...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.