When friends are few-the story of RockWorld (22img)

Hi Frits

Thanks so much for posting your memories dating back to the late sixties. Those gaps between rich and poor still exists, but it was fascinating to see you image of the Ricksha's - there were so many then! Today there are very few of them left, I'm not sure why! Perhaps the tourist novelty has worn off; they are famous for overcharging. Perhaps I should do some images of them, explore them a bit deeper - but they are wily and sharp guys. They charge USD2 every time you click a shutter and they are so tourist-oriented I doubt it would be possible to get a "real" perspective of them.

Your poignant view of hope and dreams in the gutter of hard life times is dramatic and beautiful. Your photos tell the story in a simple and powerful way. Your work is true artistry!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Your photo essays are becoming my favorite! You're right, there is probably a Rockworld in every major city. I live in LA, and there are some parts of this town that are totally unsafe, no matter what skin color you are. I also totally understand your perspective on the social rift between the rich and poor. I see it everyday in Los Angeles. It becomes so obvious in your face.

a follow up question.

Hi Chris
[snip]
I guess the 'why' for me has always been the desire to spread understanding and empathy for the marginalised people of cities, wherever they are, using the two skills that I have (even if these are small in magnitude) - communication through language - verbally or through images. I think that cities are hard and alienating places for many. My wish is simply to portray the human side to the ghost figures that we see, be they people sleeping on park benches,loitering on street corners or marking time in a lonely room in an old age home.
[snip]
Best
Peter

Well Peter,

You're succeeding in conveying your message. This is one of your best in my opinion.

I'm interested to know more about how you gained safe access to RockWorld and, given that you may have been seen as a visitor, how do you engage the people you shoot as you move through the building.

Thanks for sharing this incredible article.

Tom

I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said here...praise for your work.

There is a lot of pain in the world. And these images poignantly show that.

G

Gov

Hi Peter--

I have to say that this is one of the more moving and exceptional series of photographs I have seen in quite some time.

For me it is very reminiscent of Bruce Davidson's "East 100th Street". I think you captured similar emotions and feelings to Mr. Davidson's timeless look at a Harlem NY street in the 1960's.

Well done.

patrick

W

Wossname

What A Journey

Peter

This is an awesome set of images from an unimaginable world. Despite the desperation of their situation, your images have humanized a group of people that most in society would immediately want locked up out of sight.

Hopefully, work like yours will remind us that people are still people, and all have a story to be told.

Keep telling stories.

Kind regards.

Neil
Tokyo

A

AndyWoodward

Peter,

These images are absolutely incredible. They are technically superb, and the story they tell is both thought-provoking and moving.

Photojournalism at its best.

Andy

PS From a technical stand point, how did you control the exposure so well in such difficult and testing conditions?

Hi Peter

Truly a poignant story, and the startling contrast of your beautiful photos really brings it home. Thanks very much for sharing this.

I found your photos to be exceptional; primarily for the emotional content and great compositions, and also the colour and exposure. You have me thinking about exploring new areas of photography - thanks.

M

MariaVoniati

Great pics Peter,

I like the way you present the reality through your camera. Simple but powerful. They could be great posters for a campaign.

Thanks

J

jkamphof

Very compelling images Peter. The imagery is incredible and the reality is unfortunately too real. Where I presently live there is little "real" world, as the city I live tries hard to hide the poor and its unfortunates. I am surrounded by a nation hell-bent on the image of success (image is everything). Nice to see imagery that doesn't hide or fear the reality.

Joel.

Wow! This is what I expect from good journalism. Good observation put in proper words paired with photographic art, and all this used to depict the things that for people (who are favoured by life) are usually unpleasant to be confronted with.
We should see more of this to appreciate the life we lead.
Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Real Name
Heiko
Exceptional pictures and explanation. It is also a sad part of urban reality, in many places in the world. Your pictures depict the human individuals, not just the "gang", "drug abusers" etc.

Thanks for posting them!

Regards,

peter

these photos evoke so much emotion from me... i can hardly express it
i feel fortunate to have you show me this link... this was posted so many months before Harris brought me to this wonderful forum

thanks for sharing this with us.... i know i'm the last one at the table for this appreciation

Latest threads

Top Bottom