When Light is just Good...not perfect...just good.

Discussion in 'People' started by Seneca, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok so I was moving things around in my studio...and my son was sitting down with our little dog...I picked up the camera and in an instant I saw how the light was hitting his face. I said..."Don't move...stay right there"...I grabbed the camera and focused...and what I saw in the viewfinder was was I thought...the light was just good. Since I told him not to move...he was still holding Jackie...our black little dog...you can see her in the bottom on the frame.

Shot at - F2.8 - 1/160 - Spot Metering - ISO 125 (no flash all natural light)

LIGHT-1.jpg

Funny thing is the more I see him the more I see ME in him...everyone tells him he looks like his mom. Second one is a tad blurry.

IMGS3560copy-1.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  2. The only thing keeping the lighting from being perfect is you being between him and the window with him facing the window. :wink:

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

I could see I was going to blow out one side of his face ... but for some reason I still thought it was pretty good.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    aww...wow Sen, I really like these, especially the first one. I'm a sucker for window light photos.

5. Never works for me with my kids or wife! Must take lessons from you Sen!

:redface:

6. wonderful images, seneca
    i do see YOU in HIM....
    and in many more ways than physical appearance would dictate
    you'll treasure these, forever

7. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree with you thats its good, but a little better then good. I like the b&w even though its oof. The softness is what makes it good to me.

8. Love em both my lil Texas exotic flower ;)
    I especially like the second one, love his expression.
    He may NOT entertain this , lol, but he could def. do some "modelling" I think as he has a natural look and HAS facial expression, unlike many models LOL

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    You know I have seen window light images, but never attempted...I really like it. I may research it a bit more when the light is brighter. THanks.

It's called "car keys". :biggrin: "Want your car keys...sit there mister".

I met a friend of his the other day and she said "Josh you look like your mom". Of course he just rolls his eyes. Thanks for the nice comment Doc.

Thank you Phil. I saw some images in a magazine advertising "Abercrombie"...I noticed the guy wasn't in focus. Is it getting to the point where some images in magazines are ok to be OOF?

HEY GMTA...I've wanted him to model but he wants no part of it. I told him that he has great lips and a nice chiseled face for a 16 year old. I also told him I was going to send some images in to American Eagle, Hollister - who knows I may still do it.

10. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    Good job on these Sen. The lighting is very good, in my eyes. Congratulations on noticing it and grabbing these shots!

11. I like the first one. Might use a bit of saturation... I haven't done any natural light stuff in a while. It's an art!

12. okcandids

okcandids

Jan 12, 2008
    Southern NH
    Very nice images for "good, not great, light". I especially like the first one as the right side of his face is still well lit to where you can see the sharpness of his right eye.

13. With all due respect to your son Sen, please don't cut your hair like his :biggrin:

14. LOL!!! :biggrin:

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks Jess. I think a lot of us feel this way...we see something and if we don't have our camera with us...we say "Man that would've been a good shot"...I know I often say that. :smile:

It really is an art. Natural light gives good light...but it can also give horrible shadows.

The other light was coming in from the other window. Thanks so much for commenting. :wink:

Hahaha...I promise I won't. :biggrin: Great comment Steve!

I'll raise you that :biggrin::biggrin: and give you three more...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

16. OpenBloom

OpenBloom

Jun 6, 2008
    KY
    I've always loved free window light. Sometimes it's just perfect and all you need. Good job.

17. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks Jon!

I will definately play with window light more. I love it.

18. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Nice images, Sen. My family run a mile if I point a camera at them!

And whilst your son may look like you, there can only be one as cute as Sen!

:biggrin:

19. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Nice shot but you blew his face out pretty well. Gotta spot meter on the brightest part. Another stop down and you'd have some real nice contrast on his face between the light and shadow side.

20. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    It was intentional. I got the somewhat ideal from Abercrombie & Fitch...not sure why they are always blowing out faces...but it seems like that is their look.

Look here http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/w...toreId=10051&catalogId=10901&categoryId=12202

Thanks.

Sen