When should one update the firmware

Le Bourg, St Julien d'Oddes, France. 42260.
I have a D7000 which works perfectly well, I have been reading a thread on NikonCafe where a member has had a problem with the card reader on his camera and up dated the firmware which might have resolved his problem.
What's the verdict as to when should one update the firmware.
I'm in two minds. One thought is if its not broken don't fix it. The other is , I like my equipment, and computers to be right up to date and get the best out of them.
Should one update the firmware every time a new one comes out or should I just leave it as its working well.
The Firmware on my D7000 is A: 1.02 B:1.03 L:1.009 I recently updated the L as I saw it improved distortion. I can't see any difference to be honest.
I like my camera and don't want to mess it up.

Mike,

This has to be turned on in the Shooting Menu and is a ON or OFF setting. In the Retouch Menu it is variable.

When a RAW file is opened in CNX2 you can turn it on or off.

DG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what there is to discuss. Why would you NOT want to do an upadate? Even if you think you may not notice the difference, what's the downside?

You say, "I like my equipment, and computers to be right up to date and get the best out of them."

Duh!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I am not sure what there is to discuss. Why would you NOT want to do an upadate? Even if you think you may not notice the difference, what's the downside?

You say, "I like my equipment, and computers to be right up to date and get the best out of them."
+1.....

They issued an update for a reason.....odds of the update creating a problem are very small, especially after many others have implemented the update with no problem.

Le Bourg, St Julien d'Oddes, France. 42260.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Duh!
I'm just concerned as I have found when updating computers the update doesn't always work as expected and they then bring out a patch to fix the problem. Not having had any experience with up dating cameras I was wandering if its best to leave them along if they are working fine or go for the update. Judging by the comments I assume you all go for the updates so I will go for it.

Not to be difficult, but I'll take the opposing view here. You said it yourself. If everything is running well then I say that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If/when things no longer are running well, and/or a new feature or capability that interests you is introduced, update the firmware at that point. Life's too short to be worrying about keeping up with the latest and greatest just for sake of keeping up.

Go out and enjoy your camera.

Here's a question:

If this update is made to the camera, is the effect on a RAW file recognized by anything other than CNX2?

If not, and you don't use CNX2 then why do it??

Not to be difficult, but I'll take the opposing view here. You said it yourself. If everything is running well then I say that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If/when things no longer are running well, and/or a new feature or capability that interests you is introduced, update the firmware at that point. Life's too short to be worrying about keeping up with the latest and greatest just for sake of keeping up.

Go out and enjoy your camera.
I look at it a little differently: The operating system of a DSLR is complex - although not as complicated as that of a Windows or Mac computer. Unlike Microsoft, which has an update cycle so regular that it's known as 'patch Tuesday' (the second Tuesday of the month), Nikon firmware updates are infrequent. My take is that they're released for good reason. That is, they fix 'stuff,' not all of which Nikon admits to, so oftentimes camera functionality improves in unexpected ways following a firmware update.

A camera can be bricked by a botched firmware update, but if one follows the instructions that accompany every update, the likelihood is small, and a bricked body can be fixed by a trip to a Nikon service center. IOW, the non-functional state isn't permanent. So for me, the upside of keeping your Nikon DSLR firmware current outweighs the downside by an order of magnitude.

I'm unaware of a Nikon DSLR update that has made things worse. I know of many Microsoft patches that have, so I usually avoid early adoption, preferring to let others walk point. If other Cafe members report that an update improves focusing on a body I also use (as has happened recently), they've both verified that the update is safe and that it provides worthwhile improvements, so I'll update my cameras too.

This issue revolves around two main factors:

a. Do you shoot JPEG or RAW (NEF)

b. Do you use CNX2 or a third party RAW converter

If you are a JPEG shooter then turning the Distortion Control ON in-camera will apply the control applicable to the lens and focal length and this is irreversible. The alternative is to use the Retouch Menu where it is controllable and you then have two versions of the same image.

If you shoot RAW the appearance is the same but the Distortion Control is reversible in CNX2. You can accept the Automatic Distortion Control or turn it off and use the Manual Distortion Control as an Edit Step (using the same Nikon Lens Data - if your CNX2 is up to date). It's my belief that third party Raw Converters do not recognise the Distortion Control applied in-camera - I am not able to prove this with my D600 files.

So, the bottom line seems to be that if you are a RAW (NEF) shooter and do not use CNX2 the process of updating the Distortion Control Update and applying it in camera does absolutely nothing (in PP).

Is that a fair statement?

DG

Last edited by a moderator:
I read what is supposed to be fixed. If it affects me, them I update in about a month when others have tried it.

Didn't update to the latest firmware for my camera because it was for compatibility with the new Nikon 800 f5.6. A lens I know I would never have a chance to add to my arsenal, ever. My camera works fine. Am I crazy?

So, the bottom line seems to be that if you are a RAW (NEF) shooter and do not use CNX2 the process of updating the Distortion Control Update and applying it in camera does absolutely nothing (in PP).

Is that a fair statement?

DG
Seem right to me as the Nikon distortion controls are proprietary and not used by Adobe products - cannot say for other mnfctr.

Adobe uses its own distortion correction profiles and offers a lens profiling solution called Adobe Lens Profile Creator which allows users to do their own thing and also share profiles with others. Sure it must be of some advantage to users of more exotic lenses for which a profile is not readily available

As mentioned already, computer operating systems get updated regularly... This is because
they are being constantly bombarded by exploit attempts... Because of the pressure to get
the patches out in a rush updates meant to fix one problem can sometimes cause others...

On the other hand cameras are not being constantly attacked by nefarious types trying to
gain access to their operating systems... Camera manufacturers refrain from spending
time and money to update firmware unless it is absolutely neccessary... Additionally, when
they do need to update firmware, they often take that opportunity to make a lot of fixes and
tweaks at the same time... Many of these they simply don't mention in the update description
simply because they don't want to openly admit to the unknowing public that there could of
been anything even remotely wrong... After all 'their' products are perfect, right...?

If your worried then in both cases 'Google' is your friend... Simply wait a week or two and
then search for any related problems in regard to the operating system or firmware update
in question...

Bottom line, if no real problems are reported then I see no logical reason not to spend the
measly 5 minutes it takes to keep my firmware up to date... :wink:

I almost always do, but I typically wait a month after it gets released to make sure there were no bugs introduced leaving you in a holding pattern until they fix those issues. The reason I almost always do, is because they rarely sneak in fixes that they are afraid to mention due to possible litigation, stock being affected, etc. This happens more than you think in the IT world.

I almost always do, but I typically wait a month after it gets released to make sure there were no bugs introduced leaving you in a holding pattern until they fix those issues. The reason I almost always do, is because they rarely sneak in fixes that they are afraid to mention due to possible litigation, stock being affected, etc. This happens more than you think in the IT world.
"Rarely"...?

Or did you mean "Routinely"...? :confused:

Mike, one of the few kudos thrown Nikon's way of late is their willingness
to update older bodies. Often there are "tweaks" beyond what's disclosed.
The D700's 1.4 (for example) is off the charts for a supposed 800mm lens
compatibility addition. I usually wait a week or two for the dust to settle,
checking the fora for any problems. I say with complete confidence, do it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom