When the sunlight is this harsh...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dennis Carter, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    ...do you just delete the photo or try to salvage somehow?

I did the best I could with the shadows tool in PSE; however, notwithstanding that I kinda like the shot as a sportstrait, I'm not sure it's a keeper. Maybe I'll keep until the end of the season and try to get others of this player on days more favorable.

2913562228_6a4beeda04_b.png

2. Delete this photo? Hardly. I think you've done an excellent job balancing things out quite frankly.

I gotta say on really harshly-lit days it's nice putting the active D-Lighting feature in the newest Nikon bodies to use.

But no, on this shot anyway you've done a great job of getting the levels all right. Sometimes you just have to expose for the faces and if stuff blows, stuff blows. Here you've done well.

3. I see nothing wrong with it either. Bar shooting in RAW, what are you expected to do??

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

After rethinking what I was doing, I remember now that I dialed in -0.3EV because I had blinkies in a test shot. I might have done better on the face at +0.3EV and just live with a blown jersey. Live and learn.

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Dennis, this can be saved. Real quick attempt:

[​IMG]

6. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Don't delete this photo. It looks fine just the way it is.
    No blown highlights - no overly dark shadows. . It's a keeper.

7. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

Dang, Tim! What did you do? I like it.

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    little work with layers! created a levels adjustment layer, brightened it a bit, and then just used the brush to reveal only the skin.

9. GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Nov 15, 2007
    Seattle
    What time of day is this image taken?

10. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks! I'll have to try myself.

High noon in the piney woods of Georgia.

11. Aha, Dennis, just saw this after my response to you in my post...what Tim did, is basically what I did....I'd say it's a keeper...

12. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
  13. It's definitely salvageable, whether or not you want to spend the time doing it for every image that looks like that is up to you.

14. Definate Keeper. Nice job Tim too !

15. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Funny you beat me to it Dennis. I had shot some field hockey games in some really bright sun and my results were less than desirable because of the shadows. I made some adjustments including bumping up EV to +03 and shot with sun at my back.
    This is just fine and certainly a keeper in my opinion. Nice job.