1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

When to be weary of a used SB-800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by texfoto, Jul 27, 2009.

1. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    I would think you would want to look for any burn marks on the lens or cracks on any part of the unit, especially the mount point.

My real question is, at what point should one be concerned with the longevity of a used SB-800? Will these things run forever if they weren't used on continuous shutter release? Is the fillament/bulb going to burn out eventually? Everybody wants one but they are all pretty much used now and some folks use the heck out of them.

Many folks who post SB-800's don't tell you how many times they've used them. I want a 2nd flash but I'm thinking either save my money and get an SB-600 new or go with an SB-900 used.

Thoughts?

2. If you can find a used SB-900 I would go with that, the SB-900 is relatively new.

3. Guess you'd have to ask the seller how much it's been used and for what purposes (i.e. did they shoot weddings/events??). If I ever sold mine, someone would get an almost unused unit. I think I've had it mounted maybe 5 times, for a few shots each time. Just b/c someone has owned the flash for X years doesn't necessarily equate to heavy use. So ask! :smile: :smile:

4. You want to part with yours? :wink:

5. I threaten to sometimes..........but it's my only "lighting unit" as the D3 has no on-board.....so I shan't. :smile:

6. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    Thanks for the responses. I guess the simplest answer was the correct one. Ask and find out. I already have one so I may be trying to pick one up in about a month or more. I'll ask to find out what kind of usage they have before buying and get a feel for the seller before pulling the trigger.

But, I just may wait and jump on the next SB-900 I see as well. It is bigger but it has a few enhancements and is newer.

By the way, Amazon has the SB-600 at $218 new, SB-900 at $451 new, and the SB-800 at $899. I will not be buying from Wall Street Photo in the future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.