When to use uv protection filters?

Do you guys always have a uv protection filter just to protect the lens or do you leave one off because more glass=less quality?

I going to be taking pictures this sunday, but there's a possibility of there being rain (unpredictable summer rains). So I'm deciding whether I should just go out and get a cheap uv protection filter.

G

gunfighter48

I have used UV filters for protection for over 40 years and it's save two lenses. I use them whenever I'm in an area where sand, water, ice, dust, dirt, pollen, etc. will be a problem. Now days I'm too old and decrepit to get into shooting areas that I used to go to. So I usually leave them off if there's no real danger of getting into a shooting situation like those I listed. I've never noticed any ill effects to my images when I use them but I buy good quality filters. YMMV

I've used UV filters sparingly when there is sea spray, as it's easier to just take off and clean. I've heard of motocross shooters who just bring a few filters and change them out during the shoot so as not to miss the action, and clean them all later. I use hoods for protection.

If you're going to buy UV filters, buy good ones. Cheap UV filters will not only degrade IQ, but they may not be all that useful in protecting your lens.

Good UV filters (e.g., B+W, Nikon brands) are made of scratch and crack resistant glass and brass, not cheap, easily cracked plastic.

W

Wileec

I almost never use them, but if I were in a situation where chemical or dirt could get on the lens, then I would put it on. Otherwise, it stays in the bag.

It really is a hate or love situation. Some people are purist don't get me wrong but I just like a little more security than worrying about loss of iq or hunting.

I use hoya filters anyway some good glass in front to protect all my lenses.

Use my hoods all the time regardless of indoors/outdoors mainly for protection. If I am going to be in a salty, dusty, wet place then I will consider putting one on. I know this topic has been discussed in length here at the cafe and there are two camps but I don't want to spend $1600 on a pro lens and put a $60-100 filter on. Just my two cents.

Real Name
Pierre B
I always put Nikon NC on each of my lens. The day I buy a lens I buy a NC and I never take it off. But I never used hood. Don't know why.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom