When your most used item is a camera...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Connahhh, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Taking it for a dip in the ocean gives you something just short of a heart attack.

Okay, so story time. Were in Nova Scotia for a vacation, and we just got to our second overnight spot. Its right by the water and my first instinct is always to grab the camera and check the surf. If its good, I grab a surf board. If its not, I shoot. It wasn't great, so I decided to shoot.

Finding an outcrop of rocks, I decided some long exposures of rocks would be fun. With Pan F 50 loaded in the hasselblad and my d50 to meter, I climbed over a bunch of rocks and found the perfect composition. I failed to realize that a wave was coming straight for where I was standing. It launched up the rock, soaking me, my camera bag, exposed d50, and phone/iPod. I thought my throat was going to close up as I looked down to see my d50 absolutely pouring water. Being 15, I was more or less holding the net worth of my life in my hands. I grabbed the nearest peice of dry cloth I could find and did my best to get the water off. It was still displaying the number of shutter accusations left which was good, but I didn't dare turn it on yet. I came home and cleaned it the best I could with a little fresh water and tissue.

Everything seems to be working and water free. I think we can thank Nikons weather seals. But man, it was horrible.

So, does anyone have any stories or even tips for cleaning? I'd like to make another pass at cleaning it.

2. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    Connor - A dip in salt water doesn't sound good. I really hope it doesn't develop any problems for you. Glad you were able to save it.

3. I'd get the battery out and check all the ports, and send it to a service centre asap. Salt water can be very very bad for electrics. I'd send it to be checked to be on the safe side before the salt water eats it away

4. The thing you have to worry about the most is corrosion because salt water is corrosive and if even a drop got in contact with any electronics, its not going to be good. As suggested, get it to a service center ASAP, the longer you wait the worse its going to be.

AM

5. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    The only problem is that I absolutely need this camera for the trip then a wedding on the 16th. I have a backup body for the wedding of course but this camera won't be at the service center until the 20th most likely. There's nothing much they can do after 8 days, is there?

6. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Same thing happened to me a few months ago with my D200. Tho, it doesn’t sound like it got anywhere near as wet as yours did, I discovered weeks later that my hot shoe got corroded, and I can no longer use my speed light. I so rarely use a speedlight, that it’s not that big of a deal for me, but it’s going to hurt the resale of the camera when I go to sell.

7. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Ugh, true. I'll try and clean the hot shoe well, I need to be able to use it.

Gah, this has me worried big time.

8. Take your camera to service centre. It may get to the time of the wedding and camera is dead anyway.

9. Definitely take it for a pro cleaning. Salt water is slow to damage things....and it could destroy your camera entirely without a proper cleaning. Maybe you should look into renting a camera for the wedding? Or borrow one from a friend?

10. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Cleaning with fresh water isn't a great idea either. It'll probably wash a little of the salt water away, but you're still stuck with the residue from all of the chemicals in the water. Also fresh water (salt even more so) is a conductive so you can easily short out the camera. Take the battery off immediately. If you have the means clean everything you can with isopropyl alcohol (as high of a percentage as you can find... oh and NOT rubbing alcohol). Take it into a service center as soon as possible as they can take it all apart and really clean the contacts, board, wires, etc.

Salt water is a very nasty corrosive. You want that salt out of everything or it will eat it up. The first things to go will be the insulation on the wires which will lead to shorts. Then the wires themselves will rust, solder joints will pop loose, etc.

Sorry about your misfortune. Hopefully the D50 is sealed better than I think it is and you kept the salt off the boards. Good luck!

11. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    :eek:  sorry connor. i have no advice to give, but hope it ends up well for you!

12. connor...
    i'm sorry this happened
    all the folks above me are right
    it reminds me of that old midas brake commercial..

"you can pay me now... or you can pay me later."
    the point...
    send it in, today
    shoot something else for the wedding
    if salt water "poured out" of your D50... it got IN, i guarantee it

get it cleaned.......
    or, it'll be a total loss in < 2 months

13. Me too. Try to get a replacement for the wedding.

14. rocketliv

rocketliv Guest

I would definitely send it in asap! Let them handle it. It will save you money down the road I bet. Good luck!

15. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I honestly can't send it in. I need it to last me until this wedding and by then I think it might be too late anyway. I've got a d200 as backup (probably main, now) that I can use if need be. But other than that, the 17th is the earliest I can send it out. Its old and has a lot of actuations anyway, the thing to do here is cross my fingers I think.

To clarify, the water was not coming out of the camera. It was on top and beading off. I'm not saying that it didn't enter the camera, but i think that some of you might have the vision of my camera completely submerged in water. Thats probably partly due to my discription.

I appreciate all the help, and I might attempt the cleaning with alchohol, but I just don't have any options right now.

Does anyone know what a cleaning would run?

16. if you sent it to NIkon Service, it would probably be stripped down to the circuit boards, and each would be cleaned and checked for corrosion, the case would then be cleaned, your AF-Sensors, CCD, Pentaprism, mirrors, focussing screen. The lot.

17. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    It sounds to me like you're looking at about 3 outcomes. One, you send it in immediately and beg, borrow or rent something for the stuff you planned to use this for. Two, you hold off and send it after and it's salvageable. Three, you wait and the time delay causes it to be unsalvageable.

As to cost, it sounds like it will need to be completely disassembled, inspected, cleaned and reassembled as well as potentially having parts replaced. I have no idea what a used D50 is worth but my swag is the service will be $200-250 for the depth of work required.

Good luck.

18. Connor,
    best luck for what happened you. I'm sorry to be so far from you otherwise I'd have gladly lended my D200 to you without any question. I can only hope you have some Nikoncafe member near you (wasn't there a Google Earth map about us, somewhere?) or friend that can help you.

Remember that "experience is mostly done on things gone wrong" (italian proverb).

19. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    At 200-250, I might as well keep my fingers crossed. I've seen many d50's in much better condition than mine going for $350. The end result would be a write off either way. Sell it for cheap if it broke or pay most of its value in repair costs. Or get really lucky and it stays in working order.

I appreciate the offer to lend the d200. Even if you're far away, its assuring to know that people that kind are still left in the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.