Where Did They Go?

CEO Marissa Mayer, in announcing the changes said "There's no such thing as Flickr Pro today because...there's really no such thing as professional photographers anymore."

Wow, I know some people who would be very surprised by Ms. Mayer's statement. She just won the chutzpa award.

Please defiine "professional" photographer. As much as we might disagree with her statement, she really might be on to somethng when you take the emotion out f it.

Please defiine "professional" photographer. As much as we might disagree with her statement, she really might be on to somethng when you take the emotion out f it.

No problem at all, just have a read here:
Definition of Professional

No emotion there at all. I don't know if you read the article referenced above by Jim Colton, but he makes some great points. The ones that resonates the most with me are:
"Using her logic, I guess we no longer have doctors either because of WebMD and the proliferation of medical information available on-line."

And:
"It is bad enough that the web is now filled with fodder and noise simply because everyone THINKS they’re a professional photographer and feels obligated to post them immediately without regard to its content. There have been more pictures taken in the last two years than all of history before it….an incredible statistic! And as a result, we are being bombarded with useless clutter."

The saddest thing, in my opinion, about statements like hers are that they are becoming common place, and many people are believing them. Searching for anything of substance on the Web is becoming a total joke, trying to weed through all the garbage to actually find anything. Her attitude is indicative of the lack of regard for quality, but it certainly is consistent with other things she has been doing at Yahoo.

So, no emotion there at all, just an indication of what I perceive as the dumbing down of society these days, in many more ways than just one.

Oh god, this one is going to go on for pages and pages isn't it :m59:

As a subject this has been beaten to death so many times over the last few years. There are certainly less 'professional photographers' than there used to be. That's probably all she meant, it doesn't really mean anything :rolleyes:

Oh god, this one is going to go on for pages and pages isn't it :m59:

As a subject this has been beaten to death so many times over the last few years. There are certainly less 'professional photographers' than there used to be. That's probably all she meant, it doesn't really mean anything :rolleyes:

That's the point, the pros are out practicing thier craft and making money. All the others are whining about it in internet forums.

Quite :biggrin:

And since when does a professional photographer use Flickr anyway?

+1
That is what I posted. A professional does not use Flickr. A professional has a professional website, and if they can't do it themselves, they hire a professional to do it for them.

There was a place out here looking for whale photographs. They said that photographers had to put them on Flickr as it was easier for them to look at them, and they had to be without watermark so they could see the full photo. I thought, "no way". I was glad I didn't put them on there, as everyone I knew who did had their photos stolen and used.

Carole

That's the point, the pros are out practicing thier craft and making money. All the others are whining about it in internet forums.

The point is that the CEO of a major corporation, like it or not Yahoo is although I think their name really defines them :wink:, is listened to by many. As I noted earlier, another unfortunate example of the dumbing down of society.

+1
That is what I posted. A professional does not use Flickr. A professional has a professional website, and if they can't do it themselves, they hire a professional to do it for them.

There was a place out here looking for whale photographs. They said that photographers had to put them on Flickr as it was easier for them to look at them, and they had to be without watermark so they could see the full photo. I thought, "no way". I was glad I didn't put them on there, as everyone I knew who did had their photos stolen and used.

Carole

While all that is true, Carole, and I agree with you the sad fact is that as a result of statements and attitudes like this a lack of quality is accepted these days that would not have been in the past. And it ain't just photography where this occurs. Can't do much about it, but as Human Beings we certainly can complain :biggrin:

Actually, I think that I am simply jealous that she can make so darned much money making stupid statements. Somehow making stupid statements does not work nearly as well for me :wink::wink:

Yea, I know what you mean, Bill. If I had done my job the way these people are doing their jobs today, I'd have been fired. I just don't get how stupidity can get them this far.

Carole

The point is that the CEO of a major corporation, like it or not Yahoo is although I think their name really defines them :wink:, is listened to by many. As I noted earlier, another unfortunate example of the dumbing down of society.

While all that is true, Carole, and I agree with you the sad fact is that as a result of statements and attitudes like this a lack of quality is accepted these days that would not have been in the past. And it ain't just photography where this occurs. Can't do much about it, but as Human Beings we certainly can complain :biggrin:

Actually, I think that I am simply jealous that she can make so darned much money making stupid statements. Somehow making stupid statements does not work nearly as well for me :wink::wink:

I do agree with you that as a society we have really lowered the bar. And I resigned myself to the fact it is not going back up again. The good in all of this is my generation doesn't have to worry about it, the torch is passed.

I do agree with you that as a society we have really lowered the bar. And I resigned myself to the fact it is not going back up again. The good in all of this is my generation doesn't have to worry about it, the torch is passed.

I can't speak to "your generation", but MY generation has a limited amount of time left to complain, so we need to Strike While the Iron is HOT!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Bad part about all this is that I think I can remember my parents saying the same kinds of things 30 years ago ........ :eek:

Latest threads

Top Bottom