Where do Owl Pellets Come From ... Image Heavy

Well, to paraphrase, "Out of the Mouths of Owls ...."

p1570409816-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1570409810-5.jpg

p1570409814-5.jpg

p1570410022-5.jpg

p1570410040-5.jpg

p1570410044-5.jpg

p1570410150-5.jpg

p1570410180-5.jpg

p1570410284-5.jpg

p1570410290-5.jpg

Amazing what happens in just a couple of seconds. I have seen Owls drop pellets before, but I have never been lucky enough to photograph the entire process.

Any favorites in the bunch?

I haven't posted in quite some time, thought this would be a good start :biggrin:

Well done Bill. Glad it is too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. Maybe this should be on my diet plan. You were sure fortunate to have seen this and to think each image in the set is spot on really shows off the quality of the camera and the photographer.

Real Name
Randy
i needed a new lcd anyway, but the wall didn't need painting

nice shot, no i can't really say that, how about sick shot, you are a disgustingly good photographer

Geeze, what is with all the "Yuck", "Eeeeeewwww" stuff. I'm guessing that none of you have cats? Now that Hairball business, THAT is truly yucky!!!!! :biggrin:

Really fascinating what you can find by dissecting these pellets. One of the things the ornithologist were doing around here was dissecting the Snowy Owl pellets to see what they were eating, as we don't have Lemmings around these parts. Quite fascinating when they found out how much bird life the owls were eating when in our area. My daughter is an elementary school teacher, and they order owl pellets for a science project each year. The kids love it, and THEY don't think it is Yucky. Maybe a little gross, but what the heck, they are kids after all ......

Thanks, all. This was a very rare treat for me, it is a process I have never seen witnessed before.

My two favorites are #6 and #8. #6 is the only one I have fully processed so far.

Geeze, what is with all the "Yuck", "Eeeeeewwww" stuff. I'm guessing that none of you have cats? Now that Hairball business, THAT is truly yucky!!!!! :biggrin:

Really fascinating what you can find by dissecting these pellets. One of the things the ornithologist were doing around here was dissecting the Snowy Owl pellets to see what they were eating, as we don't have Lemmings around these parts. Quite fascinating when they found out how much bird life the owls were eating when in our area. My daughter is an elementary school teacher, and they order owl pellets for a science project each year. The kids love it, and THEY don't think it is Yucky. Maybe a little gross, but what the heck, they are kids after all ......

Thanks, all. This was a very rare treat for me, it is a process I have never seen witnessed before.

My two favorites are #6 and #8. #6 is the only one I have fully processed so far.

When I was a kid we vacationed in northern Quebec every august (camping/fishing)... One year
(I think I was 14) I found two owl pellets under a tree... Dissecting one showed it to consist of small
rodent parts, chipmunk or mouse possibly... I always assumed that they pooped them out though,
I didn't realise they regurgitated them... :eek:

And yes, I've owned cats most of my adult life and hair-balls are MUCH worse and usually found in
the WORST possible places, like on my pillow or in the middle of my keyboard... :tongue:

Print some posters and attach them to a sandwich sign board. Then stand outside a vegetarian restaurant.

I have to give you credit though for a keenly photographed event.

Yuck is right. It amazes me how much they could eat and how little come out from other end, then they spit out this big palette.

Thanks, all.

After reading all of these replies, from just an itty-bitty-little-Owl, I can only imagine what folks would say of an Owl Pellet from a BIG Owl. Hmmm, anyone know of an owl that eats something larger, like a Rabbit? Now THAT would be a "Pellet Expulsion" worth witnessing I think :eek:

Honey, can I have a kiss now?...................I have seen this is action only once. A gho in the pouring rain at Merrit Island. It came out really fast, I got one frame. I was shooting with a big trash bag over the camera and lens. I like your set, well done.

Latest threads

Top Bottom