1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Where do you find your models?

Discussion in 'People' started by dx379, Jul 15, 2008.

1. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Was just wondering where everyone finds their models?? Aside from family members of course!

Modelmayhem? Advertise locally?

I am looking at building up my portfolio and was wondering where I could find some people to shoot. I have some friends I have taken pictures of, but would prefer starting to shoot people I don't know...

Jonny

2. CougarWilbur

CougarWilbur Guest

Advertise on Craigslist for your area.

You can find models willing to trade their time for prints to add to THEIR portfolio.

3. Craiglist always seemed a bit sketchy to me, especially for male photographers (sorry, guys). I would go to MM, since the models are there, to, well, model.

I met some of mine on Myspace. Became friends, first, of course and then asked them to model for me.

4. Craiglist, OUCH! I would'nt "brown mac brigade".
    Model Mayhem (once you are accepted with initial 4 images) and again Myspace at times.

5. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Another vote for Model Mayhem. I don't know where in the US you live but here in Indianapolis, Craigslist is full of spam ads, freaks and psychotics.

"Sketchy" is putting it mildly...

6. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    It depends on what kind of photography you are looking to practice.

Model Mayhem, OMP, and the dozen or so other 'amateur modeling' sites can be a HUGE waste of time. No shows and flakes are a dime a dozen and the pearls are few and far between. I would suggest looking at a college campus art and/or photography department. 'Regular' people will hone your skills much better than wannabe models.

At least IMHO...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.