1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Where do you store your equipment?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dieman, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Reading another thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=238593 got me wondering where people with large collections of equipment keep them.
    Do you keep your lenses and cameras on shelves, in a closet, under the bed.

Actually, a china cabinet would be a great place, no dust etc. Note to self; talk to wife about this idea.

Right now I have just enough stuff to keep in my bag, plus a couple of odds and ends on my desk, somewhere under all the clutter:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Always in the bag... but that is easy with only 3 lenses and 1 body :biggrin:

3. Pelican cases really work well for me for storage.

4. I keep most of my junk in a Tamrac Strongbox 646 - stored in a closet.

5. In camera bags which I then put in a suitcase. If I desire to drive somewhere to take pictures, I just put the entire suitcase in my car.

-jeff

6. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    I just picked up a Pelican 1510; tired of multiple bags.

Dave

7. StinkyD

StinkyD

Nov 29, 2008
    Utah
    I need a better solution. Current setup is camera bag with whatever I last took out, then an old gym bag with the extra lenses and other odds and ends. I was thinking of outfitting one of those big rubbermade tubs with some foam blocky stuff. Any thoughts on a good diy source for foam blocky stuff?

8. In three humidity controlled cabinet

9. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I built shelves in the closet of my office at home. They also are out on my desk sometimes in between use.

10. V_kids

V_kids

Jul 4, 2006
    Indonesia
    I always store my equipment inside a dry box (set the humidity to 40%)
    because here in Indonesia, the humidity is around 80-90%
    Bad for camera and lens

11. It seems that the consensus is to have stuff "in something", that makes sense protection wise. I had read a post where someone was talking about putting his gear on shelving. I was eyeing up clearing one of my bookshelves off and using that.
    But really, that's not a good idea now that I think about it, and besides, it will give me an excuse to buy more camera bags. . whoot! :579:

12. i just keep my stuff in my walkaround bag. the other random stuff i keep in a large photo backpack. one day I will have a gun safe for my camera gear!

13. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    NOW THAT IS SWEET!!!! Very nice set up.. I might have to steal that idea from you! awesome.

14. PedroS

PedroS

May 4, 2008
    Portugal
    :cool: 

Well... I know I'm crasy... but one day I sum all my equipment and realized that it was (and it is) above the $100.000 :eek: 

So I bought one of these...

http://www.nwsafe.com/products/liberty/washington.htm

I have modified it internally, to be more gear friendly, included a humidity control, and that's it. There's where my gear rests when not in use.

15. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Oh my God! Fantastic idea!

16. Edward, that looks like a great idea, however, the older glass and cameras are usually heavy. Did you have to reinforce the drawers?

I use and old glass gun display counter (sliding doors in the rear) for all my camera equipment. I have a small collection of about 60 bodies and 30 lenses keep in that counter. It looks nice and keeps dust and children's finger prints off the equipment.

17. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    Stored in camera bag with a small desiccant silica container.

18. Two wheeled cases, Pelican 1510 and ThinkTank Airport Security, locked in a gun safe (bolted to the floor). Also two kits in smaller Lowepro bags for easy grab and go.

James

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.