1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Where do you store your master files?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by tom500, Aug 15, 2009.

1. tom500

tom500

Oct 24, 2008
    Grand Rapids
    I noticed my Aperture file is rapidly expanding towards 40 gig. I am curious where you store your master files.

As a general practice do you upload your masters to an external firewire hard drive?

Any advice or workflow tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

2. I usually keep mine on DVD's and my external hard drive. I'm learning to clean out the "junk" files to leave room for the best (which isn't many!).

3. Back-up drive is favourite.

4. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    My opinion is that a backup hard drive is likely much more reliable than a CDR, or esp a DVD disk. We do need two copies of everything, to have a backup, for when "things happen".

5. I have several external hard drives, FW 400 and FW 800. When I first unload a CF card, the images go to a folder on the desktop (internal HD); I then sweep through them with Photo Mechanic and pick out the ones which are worth post-processing. These get imported into Aperture, and I process them. I periodically shift the entire Aperture Library to the external drives and begin a new Aperture Library as needed. Since I'm doing a 365 Days Photo-of-the-day project, that takes up much more disk space than I had used in the past and I find it easier to work within smaller Aperture Libraries. All images which were deemed not good are deleted from the hard drive and never make it to Aperture in the first place. That saves some space on both my internal drive and the external HDs.

6. I keep 3 backup copies of my "master" files. First goes to a second internal 1.5 TB hard drive. 2nd backup goes to a 2 TB NAS box over Ethernet. 3rd backup, done once or twice a year, is a full backup of my NAS boxes, I have 1 full 1TB and now my 2TB as well, which get copied to whatever drives I have retired in favor of new bigger drives internal. These are taken off line and stored away.

Yes, I am paranoid :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

All of my backups are stored as copies of the file structure, not in proprietary backup program formats. In that way I can always recover them easily and since they are an exact copy of my structure, it makes it very easy to recreate whatever I may need.

7. I have an internal 2GB drive where all of my pics are kept (1GB so far) and an external 2GB HD for backups.

I can't imagine backing up 1gb onto disks or DVDs.

8. Gee, you must not have many pictures ..... either that or you actually mean TB and not GB :wink::wink:

9. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I use and external hard drive. I should keep it off-site, but I don't.

~Chad

10. DVDs and i have an external hardrive.

11. Two external LaCie 1TB HD ($150 at Amazon). One connected to the PC, the other one a backup of the first HD goes off-site and I re-synch every so often.

12. HOW STUPID! Of course I meant TB, not GB.

13. Sole Shooter

Sole Shooter

Sep 20, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I have a 1TB external HDD I save to.

14. wrx1

wrx1

Nov 1, 2007
    Maplewood MN
    I have a 4TB server that I keep most stuff on and I have couple of network shares that get backed up from the server to a external drive.

15. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    500GB Network Assigned Storage.

May start burning DVDs too.

16. menos

menos

Nov 11, 2008
    Shanghai
    I have all my photographs on a 500GB internal hdd min my MBP.

I do regular backups of this hdd via SuperDuper to external FW800 drives.

When my internal hdd gets too full quicker, than the hdd suppliers bring up bigger drives, I will archive old photographs external and just keep my Lightroom files on the MBP.

So far, computer component manufacturers always brought up something double the size, double the speed, when my hdd got too full.

This always met my provisonal safety hdd exchange plan too.

17. what programs do you use to backup to external?

18. I use memeo - it was a trial version with the Western Digital MyBook that I purchased

http://www.memeo.com/

I paid $29 after the trial expired

it backs up new files continuously - and it is easy to restore files

I disable the backup while importing to LR - once I delete the images that I don't want to keep, I enable the service again

19. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Thecus N5200 Raid 5 NAS.

20. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

The question asked where we store our master files.

For me the answer is one copy in a fire proof safe. Second copy in another building. This protects against loss through fire, theft etc.

If you mean the master copies of software, the answer is for programs that are downloaded they are with the other data. For CDROMs and DVDROMs that are not easily simply copied into the normal data, they are in the fireproof safe.

The backup data consists of:
    1. Disk image of the bootable partition, in case of loss of that partition through failure or corruption. The C: drive contains no data, only software. I always configure software so the user data is on D: or E: etc.
    2. The rest is all the data, none of which lives on the bootable partition, i.e. D: E: drives. Personal data, photos etc.

A good backup method is very important.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.